With two Xt8 Turfco aerators & 900 customers it’s time to go up on our aeration pricing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by adam.neusbaum, Sep 7, 2018.

1. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

I believe we should increase our standard rate from $69 to $89.
    I started out in 2011 with the Xt5 to test the market. What I neglected to do was shop my competition. Now that we’ve established a huge fan base(even their neighbors comment on how good a job the stand-ons do) I believe the best time to make this adjustment is now.

Our 2018 Spring consisted of us being booked out an average of 6 weeks and several callers decided to go elsewhere even if it meant paying more.
    One guy said he had his lawn plugged within 48 hours of leaving me a voicemail.
    I asked if they did a good job-
    “Not really” he replied
    “Are you the ones that have the commercial type units”? he asked
    Yes sir, oftentimes the walk behind ones that everyone else uses can’t penetrate our soil structure.
    I went ahead and asked what they charged him-
    “$115 but I’m thinking I’ll have you out in a few months to do it”

The longer I’m in business the more I rely on quality equipment.

How do you guys go about advertising your revised price structure?
    I figure I’d better start by revising our website.

One relatively new service we’re providing is aeration followed by rolling and because it makes the profile pliable we’re seeing excellent results in smoothing out the bumps.
    Any other tricks of the trade I should know about?

DE34DBA0-ACB6-499E-82C7-99EE7A36679E.jpeg

999BADF6-0790-4392-9440-44A3DAFB4127.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

So you aerate to relieve compaction and to promote air getting into the soil....

Then you roll it with a tandem roller?

Or is that the neighbor's lawn? Im confused

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Aerate, then compact. Creates constant stream of biz.

knox gsl and adam.neusbaum like this.
  4. adam.neusbaum

Correct, then approximately 5 weeks later we’ll aerate again at no charge.
    We used to aerate then Topdress with our sand leveling blend to attempt to smooth out the ground. Now we try to manipulate the existing soil first then evaluate for leveling thereafter.
    On this one I wanted maximum impact from the vibrating roller so that required short bagging after aeration and before Flintstones(that’s the name of our rolling service).

For lawns that strictly need nourishment (like this other corner lot)we Topdress with our compost blend customized to the specific soil structure. For example- this Zoysia was rotting from holding excessive moisture and we apply a very specific course mix to help reduce the ph over time & offer a loam body for rapid recovery.

546B6175-DF93-4331-9427-EDA0C88495DC.jpeg

1E78BA66-54FC-46CE-95CC-FE7E495286FA.jpeg

08801968-B913-43D1-A362-0E6A29B6AAAF.jpeg

65F7F160-DDFF-4557-A408-ED50D350C645.jpeg

5. adam.neusbaum

Sorry, I couldn’t upload this to YouTube in Hi-def since I’m at the Tulsa airport. You can see how bumpy it is and we generally overlap and do it multidirectional.

6. adam.neusbaum

A lawn jockeys view of an extremely bumpy ride.

7. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're booked out so far in advance that people are going to others who charge a lot more and do a lesser quality job then you're definitely overdue for a price increase

oqueoque and adam.neusbaum like this.
  8. adam.neusbaum

9. Turfco

Turfco Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback Adam!

For those still looking for aeration equipment for this fall we have inventory available to ship immediately.

you can check out the video here

https://vimeo.com/turfco/xt8

10. adam.neusbaum

In December we decided to revise our aeration ad to encourage homeowners to pre-schedule their service. We addressed 1,000 of these postcards and mailed them to our 2018 customers, we were short 250. Time to reorder because the response has been excellent!
    2017 aerations were 650 so we more than doubled our clientele.
    Btw, my wife & I have completely eliminated the office position because trying to get staff with half a brain is extremely challenging.

DONOTUSEINCORRECTPOSTCARDNUMBER.png