Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i do believe that aeration helps turf grass but most of my customers do not sign up for core aeration . do you think it would work for core aeration as a requirement for the fertilization programs if worked in the price per application somehow? what do you guys think? it seems that the lawns that have problems are the ones that just get the applications nothing else.
anthony

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I agree that a lawn would benifit from a yearly aeration. But some customer just don't want it. They don't want to see plugs all over their lawn. Don't force it, just suggest it.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bob i feel the same .one part of me says areation and the other part says i might loose a bunch of accounts.

·
Registered
490 Posts
This can be good and bad. I did this on my "deluxe" program when I first started out. On the plus side, if you do the aeration in the fall, and you offer a 5 application program, you are essentially getting your money up front, because you collect 1/5 of it from each application. This also helps the customer, by spreading out the cost.

The down side is that it drives the application cost way up, and often times people will only look at the bottom line, and think that you are priced too high.

Try and offer it as a part of a premium package. Upsell it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree w/ jaclawn I offer 3 different programs. The best includes aerating and thatching. How do I sell it. EDUCATION. People will gladly give me the work if they understand thats what the turf needs. I dont feed them any BS. If the lawn doesnt need it then I say so. They like that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my opinon....core aeration is just a gimick. The only time that I could see it benefiting a lawn is if it's done several time a year and if the plugs are broken up or raked up. Most guys around here just leave the plugs laying on the lawn which in my opinon would only lead to a bumpy lawn which requires rolling in the spring.....and doesn't lawn rolling somewhat defeat's the purpose of aeration???

On top of these thing....handling an aerator is a real son-of-a-bit*h.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CRIS: YOU JUST OPENED A CAN OF WORMS!!!

BY THE WAY SINCE KERBY TOLD ME ABOUT THE 60 LB. WEIGHT,THAT I REMOVED (HIDDEN ON MY AERATOR) IT IS EASY TO HANDLE.

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
Chris, how much do your mowers weigh? My largest mower is around 1100 pounds, with me it over 1300. Mowing all season and foot traffic compacts the soil which has a dramatic effect on water absorbtion. As for the plugs, they disolve and provide a good top dressing, since they go back into the ground it does not create a problem with level ground.

Ray

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I used to think thatching was the only thing needed, but in the last 10 yrs I have done a complete switch. Because we don't get the deep freeze in Wa where I live I aerate spring (April&May) & fall right before I put on the winter fertilizer and blow out the sprinklers.

I have not had to pull out the thatcher in yrs. The thatch is not getting worse, because we only fertilize the roots every winter on established lawns 16-16-16. The rest of the year we use ammonia sulphate, or high Nitrogen with Iron.
Seems to work well here.

·
Banned
32 Posts
BUMPY????!!!!
I haven't seen aeration cores create bumps. How big are your cores? Just ignore all that "technical" stuff in turf maintenance textbooks, it's all bogus..Dude!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brl re-send me one @(i deleated it.)
[email protected]

[Edited by anthony on 09-18-2000 at 09:48 AM]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.