Wondering if I over bid this.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Shawn Schafer, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Shawn Schafer

Shawn Schafer LawnSite Member

1200 sq ft of overgrown beds, all the bushes need trimmed (around 20 medium size bushes), all beds need major weeding, plastic edging all pulled out and edging with natural edging (150 linear feet), old torn up weed fabric removed and new put down, 10 yards of mulch. I bid the job at $2100 that includes the mulch and new weed fabric.

I bid this job a couple days ago and they said they'd get back to me. Just curious if I'm in the ballpark. The beds were pretty bad, looks like they haven't been maintained in a at least a couple years.

2. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

I think your price is pretty close depending on how bad the beds are. We'd likely be $1000 on mulch. $400-$500 on the bushes. $200 on edge. $100 misc. Disposal? Then whatever the weeding is.

I bet we'd be more like $2500 ish on this. I hate weeding jobs. We avoid them. Try to spray instead.

3. OP
    OP
    Shawn Schafer

Ok thanks for the reply and I forgot to mention the customers house is on a hill and the mulch will have to be dumped about 50 yards from the furthest bed so theres a lot of walk time involved to get the mulch to the beds as well. I have a video of the walk through as well if anyone wants to see it.

4. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

If it's as bad as you say it is, it doesn't seem too high. I hate dealing with plastic/fabric. If it wasn't for that, I'd say you were high. But some people don't have any clue what things really cost.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Walking 10 yards of mulch about 150 ft uphill? That alone would move our price up quite a bit. That being the case, we'd probably be $1500 just on mulch. Now keep in mind that we pay roughly $32 yd for good mulch.

I'd look into renting a Bobcat for the job. Move the mulch wayyyy faster and use it to clear out the bulk of the garden mess.

What are you doing for disposal?

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Shawn Schafer

As far as disposal goes with the organic stuff I have a large property myself and I compost alot of it. The fabric and plastic edging will go to the dump. The 50 yards isn't all uphill, it's about 15 yards uphill and then 35 down hill to the back of the property where a large tree is.

7. Tara Ann

Tara Ann LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Are you working by yourself, or do you have a crew? If a crew, how many people would be on-site?

8. OP
    OP
    Shawn Schafer

I was figuring on taking 3 guys and hoping to get it done in one day. If it didnt get done in one day then two of us would go back and finish.

9. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

Yeah, the distance and hill definitely change things. Don't give in and lower your price. Working hard and feeling like you're making nothing is a bad feeling.

If they contact you asking for a lower price, I'd sooner offer to adjust the job if it's possible. I had a customer with similar beds call earlier this year, no plastic, but they hadn't been maintained in years. He couldn't afford the $2800 price tag, but I weeded it all, and only mulched right around the pool area. As he put it, "You can't see the back of the property from the house anyway, we'll skip that for now. He got a nice area for the family to relax, and I still got my regular price for the work completed.

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Shawn Schafer