Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on our way home from our newborn's dr. appointment, we saw this guy on a bike. He was towing something....my wife was like what is that on the back of his bike?

We passed him, and of course I'm checking it out. Turns out an older gentleman was towing a 21" mower, and somehow had a weed eater tied up in it too.

At first I laughed, but then quickly gave props to the man for doing the work. And here I was complaining the other day that I wanted to upgrade my trailer. :nono:

·
Registered
41 Posts
around here there is a guy with a home made trailer made out of plywood and two bike weels hooked up to his bike. He has a weedeater, blower and a 21" mower. And he also has a rake and shovel mounted on the side. He is the reason I dont have any accounts in my own nieghborhood. He even offered to mow my lawn. I told him I am in the business and he said " I know but your lawn is the one suffering" The guy has a point all my clients have fresh cut lawns and I have the one with the long grass.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is where your qualituy of work counts the most. The beter you are the more work you will receive. Those type of people are at a disadvantage, but he is still working. He is not on the government programs. Customer service and quality work is the best combination to landing more work.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Saw a truck leaving sears today. About a 1975 rusty chevy, had two brand new Craftsman 42" riders from Sears. So i thought, oh its probably just a homeowner with a big lawn. Then his truck pulled around and it was a 'commercial business', 'grass choppers' I believe it was called.

523 Posts
Yea In the next town I do a dentist office and the next door coffee shop get done by a man and his son / they both ride bikes and each pull a little cart behind them with a push mower and weed-eater .
I would love to have there gas bill .
But I just smile and wave smile and wave :waving:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't laugh. One of the most succesful men I've met in this industry started out as a teenager pulling his equipment in a little red wagon attached to the back of a Moped. He now has a huge Landscape, Lawn Care, Lighting, Grounds Maint. organization with multiple branches in a couple different states.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There is a guy in my home town that pulls a little trailer with a residential mower.
Haven’t heard any complaints about his work though.

Like you say at least he’s working or trying to, cant blame someone for trying to better himself.

Doesn’t really matter to me if you have the most expensive equipment or not, it’s what the yard looks like when you leave.
My wife and I are renting a house about 100 miles from the house we own, the lawn care is figured in with the rent on this place.

It’s a simple mow/trim/blow 20 minute job that pays $25. I happen to meet the LCO today. Seemed like a nice hardworking guy!

But his quality or lack there of just got is a$$ fired and he doesn’t even know it yet. You can’t see the concrete on the patio for all the grass clippings,

The rig and equipment you own doesn’t make you a professional in my books! I’ll take the old man with the 21’’ Murray before this LCO comes back!

I wasn’t going to go for these accounts when I sell my home and move up here, but this LCO made me reconsider this.

It would be easy to get his accounts because his quality and attention to detail doesn’t compare.

It’s not what you got, but how you use it.

Sorry for the rant, this just caught me wrong today.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sure, whatever you do for a living is the last thing in the world you want to do at home on the weekends.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I lost an account early this year to a guy that looked like that. I was charging this account $ 50.00 weekly about a 1/2 acre pretty good size, alot of trimming. I also had there mothers house at $ 40.00. A guy like this showed up hes living at the Red Cross or something like that. He says $ 25.00 each and the husband says ok. He calls me and says match it and you can keep it. I so thats ok with gas and everything I can't do it. Well 3 weeks later, I get a call back and he says that he wants to start up again, can I work on the price. I say whats up with the other guy? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hes gone I guess. I say, I can't do it for any less and would need to get them to sign a contract for service. He says, no good bye. She calls and says please come back and take care of the lawn. I also do some fert and irrigation for them and trim bushes. Now, I'm married and I know how this s#&^ works. I'm in the middle with these 2. I really don't care about the guy with the bike and mower. He looked like hell and was trying to make a buck. I felt sorry for him in a way. This guy is a dentist and takes Fridays off. I went buy on a Friday and caught them both at home. I said would you like the cheapest guy to work on your teeth? Maybe do a root canal? He says, I got your point. They signed contract and now I deal with her. She says the guy on the bike had a 40 oz in a sack and took a leek in his moms yard. RUT ROW..........................................

·
Registered
128 Posts
E&J,
Did you charge a little more first cut upon return? Should have I just know you had some catching up to do. I am sure the guy with the 40oz did not do a good job.
You know I didn't. I have several customers in that sub-division and my daughter has a friend that lives down the street. I didn't really care if they came back or not. When things get weird, they rarely get better and almost always get worse. All I want to do is mow blow and trim. I referred them to a friend that does nothing but chems. I wanted to charge more but it was already very strange. We know alot of the same people. Makes it hard at times to make business decisions. Plus the guys mother is nice as can be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.