1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

wood splitter question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerman41, May 9, 2010.

1. mowerman41

mowerman41 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a stupid question but I can not find the answer. If you are towing a wood splitter does it have to have a license plate on it?

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Depending on the size of the splitter, i would not even trailer it. The tires are small, lines are close to the ground, etc. It says its towable but i only tow it around with a quad if needed...otherwise it goes in the bed of the truck. I would never tow it on the road.

3. kobelcosk35

kobelcosk35 LawnSite Member

i have a good size homemade one and in NY it doesnt need to have a licence plate, breaks or lights

4. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

What about BRAKES on the axle

5. kobelcosk35

kobelcosk35 LawnSite Member

Yea i thought that looked funny:rolleyes::hammerhead:............................but heres my splitter. been stoped before with it and the officer said it was all legal and to have a good day

010.jpg

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Nope. Ours have the little wheels but usually if need be moved - pulling it on trailer or with two guys we lift into back of the truck. I just think safety first with something like that.

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread is over a month old but I saw no definite answer to the original question. You need to check with the State Troopers in you own state.

Nosmo