Woodlands Renovation

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Probably never heard of renovating a huge patch of woodlands in EAST TENNESSEE? Here goes:
The Tornado torn up huge old growth trees, pulled them out of the ground and when they were cut the root ball (10-12' high) left craters of holes around them. Other places where the excavator had to work left huge bare spots of earth where leaves and rotting material had created a floor. My question is "Has anyone ever tried to renovate this type of turf" I was thinking of putting down some type of seed to get some type of organic matter going again.
Any tips or suggestions. Don't suggest mulch as that would too cost prohibitive for 3 acres or more. Woods that were dark where the canopy was think is now light and open. I preferred the dark canopy. Any suggestions as to seed?
Thanks for everything,
Roy

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Those windfall craters are going to be a bit of a problem. We have few around here. I suggest you add clover seed to the blend. Clover provides it own nitrogen--it will help whatever grass seed you use. Probably tall fescue. If not clover--then perhaps black medic--its sort of an annual clover--which reseeds itself.

I think you will be able to recover--after a lot of hard work and a period of time. Best of luck to you. Cool weather of fall is the best time to plant. (Cool season grass.)

OP
R

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Those windfall craters are going to be a bit of a problem. We have few around here. I suggest you add clover seed to the blend. Clover provides it own nitrogen--it will help whatever grass seed you use. Probably tall fescue. If not clover--then perhaps black medic--its sort of an annual clover--which reseeds itself.

I think you will be able to recover--after a lot of hard work and a period of time. Best of luck to you. Cool weather of fall is the best time to plant. (Cool season grass.)

Thanks Riggs:
I was planning to wait until Mid September-Oct to plant the fescue. Yes, clover will be a good choice. After 40 years of grooming this little forest type settiing, it was gone in 2 minutes. Can't hardly walk outside. I've got to muster and get any other help I can find to just help pick up sticks. I hate that clay color dusty. My lawn is a wreck from the big equipment running over it and roofers demolishing the foundation planting and nothing will ever replace the mature apple trees that were just pulled out of the ground. Many were gifts from my mother; especially sacred from my graduations. Glad that I did grafs on them last year.
Thanks again.
Roy

Top Forums