1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Work, Equipment, Truck, Toys, Etc

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by JContracting, May 29, 2012.

1. landscape2014

landscape2014 LawnSite Senior Member

I would also like to be a part of the private forum. I started at 12 years old and have never quit. I am 33 now. I will gross 1.2 this year with 9 employees. I quit focusing on gross a couple years ago and started focusing on net. It really scared me when a local company did 4 million with 70 employees, while the owner took a 100k salary. The headaches of a 4 milllion dollar company are not worth 100k. Everybody is so focused on gross, when it should be net then gross.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. BandBLawncare

BandBLawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Private forum not workin for me
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Efficiency is running his own business and doing this as a side project, im sure he will get to it when he has time

4. Eagleland

Eagleland LawnSite Member

When did you jump into hardscapes and do you feel like it has been a big positive for the company?

Did you gain experience in it through school or working for someone? Just curious I would like to do a few small projects next year.

5. OP
    OP
    JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I certainly agree with net being very important. The reason I stated gross is because I'm not going to reveal my profit on an open forum.

That's a pretty low salary for that large of an operation. Maybe he had a good profit & is able to pay a good himself a good bonus.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. OP
    OP
    JContracting

I did my first hardscape project in 2012. Only did one that year, didn't really do many in 2013, just one walkway to circular patio w/ freestanding wall & columns. We started doing a fair amount more this year once I had my teacher's crew.

I never worked for anyone doing hardscapes, learned mostly in school & then learned on my own when doing them. Having my crew has been huge because there are times when they know things I don't and have learned these things through experience. It's definitely a huge positive! We can crank out patios & those are our biggest profit makers. I think changing to the Borgert brand wall block as our "go to" block will help us be more profitable with walls as they're a lot easier to work with labor-wise.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. OP
    OP
    JContracting

There hasn't been a whole lot going on this winter, which sucks!!!! We've had maybe 3 full snow events since November. :mad: A fair amount of salting events also but cash flow is extremely tight.

I will be attending the "Build a Better Landscape Business" put on by Landscape Management Network next week on Monday & Tuesday. Looking forward to it. I have a budget built for 2015 but really want to get my pricing in order to make our numbers happen and this workshop should help with that. I'm also looking into purchasing their software, I'd like to create a near 100% paperless office.

As much as I don't want to get rid of it since it was the first truck/vehicle I've ever bought myself, I'm looking to sell my Chevy. All info is in the ad below. PM or text me (phone number is in the CL ad) if you want more info or more pics. It's a great truck but as you all know, I've since upgraded & want all my trucks to be white. So this one needs to go!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4848904353.html

8. BandBLawncare

from Ohio

J have you implemented Service Autopilot yet?

9. OP
    OP
    JContracting

I've decided to go with LMN being as we're nearly 80% construction & 20% maintenance. It suits us better than SAP.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BandBLawncare

from Ohio

Did you end up going with the one that has the 700 systems kit? If so how are those?