Work tee’s no longer have individuality

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Oct 24, 2019.

1. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, yes I am. Every day.
    60 mph state hwys.
    And 55 mph county hwys.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Well
    That’s not common
    And your use of hi viz wouldn’t make it an overwhelmingly over used uniform color/look by every Tom dick and gardener

hort101 likes this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

So by definition, all our crews wear the same thing...T-shirts with our logo embroidered on them, green pants or shorts. Mowing or landscaping or hardscaping.

Used to have button down shirts for uniforms, guys didn't like the button downs so we all have Tshirts. Didn't change morale and probably would have made it worse since they like the Ts better.

MowDaddy and RussellB like this.
  4. TPendagast

Male

you have a UNIFORM.

this is different than a screen printed fruit of the loom and whatever pants you wore today.

the morale comes from the uniform
    Just a cheap T (which usually works it’s way into becoming sleeveless by mid summer) doesn’t have the same effect.

The effect of uniforms (both in respect to perception from the outside and inside morale) and what constitutes uniforms had been studied at length.
    Why it makes a difference when you add pants? I don’t know.
    It just does.
    Studies also show if you have a requirement for upkeep of the uniform (stains, rips, no altering - like ripping off sleeves) then the employees treat customers better, perform better at work (efficiency), enjoy their jobs better and typically stay with the company longer as well as treat your equipment and trucks better.
    It’s all psychological, “the clothes make the man”
    Again
    I don’t know why it works
    Other than to say I have read and witnessed it on countless occasions myself.

5. Mark Oomkes

Sleeveless Ts aren't allowed.

Stained Tshirts? Yes, there's always the guys that get dirty walking through the door in the morning.

6. TPendagast

Male

Yes
    But I’m sure you replace the really bad shirts and require that they be washed.

that is to say you have a standard of appearance, whatever yours is.

One of the reasons I dislike safety yellow is how nasty the vests/tshirts get and how fast.

I don’t know what it is about the color that clings to stains.

black/gray/green all do better on that , and the ones that stay stained down stand out.

I’m testing black carharrt style jackets this year with reflective tape (ansi 2)
    But they’ll only work for winter.

besides roadside revegetation, we don’t do much of anything else (other than snow and ice control) that requires ansi 2

I’d like to maybe limit the ANSI standards to snow and reveg in the form of jackets and vests, so we can get away from the terrible yellow shirts. (Not only that but liking like everyone else in top of it is driving me nuts)

7. OP
    OP
    DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

There is a WAWA (gas station / food store) in town and they get a heavy blue collar worker crowd of customers in the morning. And nearly everyone that comes through their doors is wearing lime green work shirts! Which, is where the idea for this thread came from!

Mudly, hort101 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

The reason this is ridiculous is because people will become desensitized to it. It has already happened with municipal plow trucks. Used to be amber lighting was good enough. People got used to it and they're idiots while driving, so crashes increased. Now many are using green flashing lights in combination with amber. Give it a few years and crashes will increase again...because they get used to it and they're stupid.

Same thing will happen with every single construction, landscaper, plumber, electrician, blue collar worker out there wearing them.

Mattmowsgrass and hort101 like this.
  9. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the most important thing about this thread shouldn’t be the color but the material. The athletic t shirts made of polyester are the way to go.

on hot summer days I’m usually rocking lightweight basketball shorts and a poly shirt. Although I wouldn’t wear that to mow.

Mattmowsgrass and hort101 like this.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Are you playing basketball?

Mattmowsgrass likes this.