workers comp for one property

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by joshua74133, Jan 14, 2018.

1. joshua74133

joshua74133 LawnSite Member

so for the most part I'm running solo this year with the exception of 1 big property that i will have to have a crew of 5 for. anyone know of cheap way to go about this?
    i use farm bureau for my GL

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Temp agency?

3. Cdlong27

Cdlong27 LawnSite Member
    from South

Just curious, How big is the property?

4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Guys around here will sub out all the trimming on big properties, like cemeteries. Since most highschool/college kids do not own string trimmers, sell them your used ones and go buy yourself a new set. You can not control their hours, or tell them how you want them to perform the task. As long as the job gets done right in the end is all you need. You can 1099 them and it will only cost you what you pay them to do the job. If you follow the guidelines of the IRS you’ll be just fine. The downside is if they cause any damage and can’t afford to fix it( doubt they’d have insurance) you will have to step in to keep good graces with the customer. Check with your insurance agent, they may cover Independent Contractors. If no accidents happen and you find some trustworthy guys, it shouldn’t be a problem. If SHTF you’ll wish you spent the extra $ on making them employees and paying for the work comp. Decisions, decisions. Good luck

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Silver Member
    from Chicago

Do you plan on staying solo? If so sub out this contract or drop it. If not then talk with you insurance agent about workmen's comp. You can always go through a temp agency and have a few guys for just the days you need them.

6. joshua74133

I dont want to sub it out... im just going to part time employee it. I guess what im looking for is a cheap workers comp just so i can provide proof. Plus i need it anyway to bid on other commercial jobs.

7. joshua74133

Also the property is 3800 a month contract... i can mostly maintain it by myself in the winter which is what i do to make a living in the winter.

8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Silver Member
    from Chicago

Workmen comp is based on payroll and workers classified job. A part time guy working a few hours a week will cost less for workmen's comp then a full time 40+ hour worker. A guy running a trimmer all day will cost you more then Sally answering your phone.

Your best bet is to talk to a local insurance agent.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

How did you know how to price it without knowing your costs ahead of time?

10. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck finding four people to work for a few hours one day a week...

Anybody worth anything will have a full time or more steady job.

DuallyVette and sjessen like this.