workers comp for one property

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by joshua74133, Jan 14, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    joshua74133

joshua74133 LawnSite Member

I already found them. 3 fire fighters and a cherokee marshal. All have Wednesday off.

2. OP
    OP
    joshua74133

Im not picking up what your asking? I've had this property for 8 years...

The problem is this new property management company has came into town and is getting all these HOA's to go with him... unfortunately he got 2 hoa's that i have been maintaining for the last 2 to 3 years. The management company never paid on time, asked me to bid a million bids but would ultimately hire someone else to do the job... the big hit came on the second of January when they fired me from 1 HOA and a condo with no notice thats why im probably going to do 80% of what i have left on my own. Last year i had a crew of 4 full time and could justify it, this year after losing those big properties... it feels like i just took 4 steps backwards. Honestly thought about closing the doors.

3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, that’s a gut punch. That doesn’t mean you should just give up tho. Get out and make some new sales to replace what you lost. No way would I sit back and take that. It’d be open season around here. If I find an acct I can make a profit on and there is another company servicing it, I’m getting that acct. I don’t harass other’s accts unless they harass mine. I’m sure you can adapt and rebuild. Best to ya!

4. OP
    OP
    joshua74133

Im trying to replace them... bidding season from what ive been told by a bunch of commercials is over. Im going to keep at it, its just frustrating. I honestly dont even know why these neighborhoods even feel like they need these dumb property management companies. They take 10 to 15% of everything approved to do nothing but get bids.

I wont give kickbacks (which may be my issue) but im not padding someones pocket off my sweat

5. Matthews Lawn Care

Commercial bidding season is never over. I get more during the season to switch than I do in the offseason. Sure, some have term related contracts but not all of them do.

6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Did you look into a temp agency in your area yet?

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You can not 1099 them unless the have a biz license and do this kind of work for someone else other
    than you.
    This “give them equipment thing” to get around employees is faise.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

You had 4 full time employees but now you're asking how to get Worker's Comp?

You're statements are not adding up.

9. Matthews Lawn Care

That’s not true. I can’t force them to get a biz license. I never said give them anything or that they couldn’t work for anyone else. Make sure your awake before you respond to what you think you read.

10. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

I found it easier finding part time guys looking for extra money rather than full time guys looking for a job.

Just my experience though.

joshua74133 and Mark Stark like this.