workers comp for one property

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by joshua74133, Jan 14, 2018.

1. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

LOL ok. Thanks for clarifying you were ill advising the OP.

ok.jpg

2. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Just curious about all this license and stuff for 1099 form. I just read the instructions for W9 and 1099 form and I see nothing about license. All the IRS is doing is tracking money from one hand to the other. Who is the IRS to tell me what license and insurance I need to work for somebody? W9 block 1 has name(as shown on tax return), block 2 has entity name if different. The 1099 just requests payers name and recipients name.

At the present moment I only mow lawns. State and local ordinance does not require me to have a license. So I can't mow a yard for another LCO because I don't have a license?

3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

When I used a sub two years ago the only thing I got dinged on was the fact the sub didn't have insurance. My insurance does a yearly audit and when I reported the sub my insurance dinged me for an extra $600. That was to cover the sub. Now if I use a sub I get named additional insured on his insurance and send that to my insurance. No increase then. The IRS doesn't care if your 1099 has insurance or a license. They care about what kind of control you have over them. All they want is the tax money. So they want subs/ employees classified correctly. Remember w2 employees pay taxes out of every pay check. 1099 only pays taxes in April.

4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I hope your not that ignorant. I never told the OP not to get insurance or that he should only “hire” guys without it. Don’t be stupid.