1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

workers they are hard to find good ones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, May 14, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I'm helperless once again! I gave the boy the option to leave and guess what........he took it! I don't care though. We left it right there in the barn, if you can't do the work, or would rather spend time looking for something else then go to it. He didn't want to leave me without, I let him know in a hurry that being without was a way of life for me and he was making me a heck of a lot madder every day he moaned and groaned about the work and the hours. I have faith someone will come along with a posotive attitude, thats really all I'm looking for at this point.<p>Homer

2. CA Enterprises

CA Enterprises LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>Sorry to hear that your on your own again. I have gone through 3 guys this year already. One said that he had things to do and couldn't work past noon! He left quickly. I am good friends with one the other lawn guys here in town and we had this same discussion 2 days ago. He has the same problems and he is trying to do 70 accts a week by himself, he said he was 6 weeks behind in installs. We have talked about merging, but I don't think it will help us much other than a bigger operation and more headaches.<p>Keep looking and you will find someone I am sure. I wish that I could employee someone full time year around but it is just to seasonal here in New Mexico!!!<p>Adam :)<br>

3. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

This is not just a lawn service problem. This is a nationwide service industry problem. Everyone knows the job market is very tight. Employees now think they can get away with anything. And you would be hard pressed to fire them. Because they think and with good reason that there is no one out there to replace them that is any better. i was waiting inline for 15 min at a restaurant the other night. For lines were going. Behind the register was a teenager being trained by a girl and the manager behind them. The trainee was playing and pinching the other employee girls and they were screaming at him lol. He was not at all paying attention. They manager was just looking around not saying anything. Most fast food employees couldnt get your order right if you typed it in triplicate and shoved it up there a**. Because most of them are dense and dont care. NOtice i didnt say all of them. Seems that everyone that can Qualify to get a highly skilled high paying job already has one. The others are just killin time til the get there social security. Now I no why there are so many flunkys in the lawn business this year. The government is cutting them off welfare.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The local Coca-Cola bottler uses seasonal personnel during the summer. They offer a dollar an hour bonus payable upon completion of the season. This may keep the employee who is thinking of leaving...but finding one worth keeping seems to be at issue here. <p>A previous post was correct in pointing out the negative of a &quot;seasonal&quot; industry from an employees perspective. A connection in a temp service would be valuable as a source to seek out these transient types.<br>

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to be able to:<p>1.) Pay greater than $10/hr.<br>2.) Employ them year-round.<p>This will alleviate a lot of labor problems. I have a number of decent guys who would work for me right now, but I don't want to grow that fast, nor do I want a revolving door effect. <p>I've had good experience with Hispanic employees. They just seem to be harder working, have a higher energy level and they don't complain about anything.<p>When you DO get some dencent guys, show them how much you appreciate them. I know so many guys who left good paying jobs because they felt unappreciated. Tell them thank-you for busting their butt and give them a bonus every now and then when things are going well. <p><font size="1">Edited by: Lazer