Working on Mobile site, any constructive criticism?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by brichter14, Nov 11, 2017.

1. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

2. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

It's a smart thing to be doing.

Are you using a WP plugin? I ask because I use Squarespace and sites are automatically formatted for device.

3. brichter14

No I build everything with Adobe muse

4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

As Ben points out, there are other (more modern and flexible) approaches to mobile-friendly sites. Responsive Design, where one site simply reshapes itself to fit the screen size, is most flexible. Plugins, that reshape the content are also available, but those do have their own issues. Last, and least, is the two site approach.

The main issue your approach runs into is that you're building and maintaining two different sites to try and accomplish the same thing. For this reason, the two site approach has all but become extinct.

If we look at your two versions, your desktop site conveys far more than your mobile site does. (Your desktop site is pretty thin, but my point stands.) If 50% of your visitors only see your mobile site, are they having a lesser experience, and therefore less effective selling to, than your desktop visitors? You're doing what amounts to an A/B split test and that's not in your long-term best interest.

For example, your Lawn Care desktop page gives more specific details. Your Lawn Care phone page gives a straight list, no detail.

Regarding that particular list of lawn care services, the design makes them look like individual, unclickable buttons. It took me visiting the Phone site via my desktop browser to see that those aren't buttons, but button'esque list items. Might be something to think about.

Since you prefer to DIY it, and your site is static, you can certainly get by with your approach, but I would recommend you flesh out the phone site and make sure the site is indexing as you wish.

Re: responsive design, it should be noted that you can use Adobe Muse to build responsive sites without coding.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  6. brichter14

Thanks for your reply!

I was under the impression that on a mobile site you want it to be more simplistic and have larger font/pictures etc. I was planning on creating some more subpages for things like lawn care and other things that I do but wanted to start small and work out.

I will make some adjustments and bump this up when I need it reviewed some more. Thank you!

7. ZLCLawnCare

ZLCLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

look-up responsive web design and see how it works. Go to any mainstream webpage and then resize the window down to a small rectangle and observe how the website changes as it shrinks. This is the best way to accommodate the hundreds of different screen sizes that will be accessing your webpage. I believe Muse can create a responsive web-pages so I would research how to create it there