Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys work past dinner time? Its been my experience that alot of people don't want workers in their yard when they are home or get home from work. We try and get all of our work done during the week and before 6PM.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
jtrice11 said:
Do you guys work past dinner time? Its been my experience that alot of people don't want workers in their yard when they are home or get home from work. We try and get all of our work done during the week and before 6PM.
Exactly, plus I love it when people are not home. When people are home they might come out and be time burgulars.

·
Banned
5,112 Posts
At this time of year when landscaping a job where there is no shade,I start at 5:00pm and work tell 11:00pm (I have portable lighting)I leave on the jobsite.
With clients OK I work that late.
Other stuff early in the morning return calls ect,set-up my delivery orders by phone so I have the middle hours when it's hottest off.
So really I put in a 9 hour day,just not all outside.
This is my slowdown period of the year.Work gets back to 10 or 12 hr days in Fall.
In fact I thing I'm gonna go camping for a week or so very soon get up and out of the heat and into the river.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I try to avoid working past 5:00 mainly because if I work much past that time, it's later when I get a shower and dinner, later when I get to bed and I'm usually not well rested as a result.

When I was 25 years old, this didn't bother me. I'm no longer 25 years old. It bothers me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In April, May and the start of June we would work normally 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week.

So we'd always end up working well past the 5-6pm time window.

We have a system that works well I think: do the commercial properties first in the morning, so you're usually going by 7... this can be cutting, whatever.

By the time 8:30 rolls around we feel its ok to start doing residentials, and past dinner time if we can help it we try to stick to commercial properties.

We've never had any complaints, but we try to be as courteous as possible

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
all ferris said:
Lots of days when I work sun up - sun down. Come on, it's a seasonal job so I do as much as I can WHEN I CAN.
I'm no longer 27 years old, either! :rolleyes:

Just wait 'til you turkeys hit middle age. You laugh now, I'll laugh later.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
yeah we work past 5. its not like i have a family i have to cater to anyway so its not a big deal, plus most of my clients dont really care, but then again im usually ALWAYS done cutting by 4, so when im done cutting ill go do other work that I have to do. Such as yesterday I cut 25 lawns from 8am-4pm and then pulled weeds at a clients house for 2 hours, then delivered a yard of topsoil. and got home at 7pm or so. But when I came home, I puked because I only had 2 bottles of water, and didnt eat anything all day in the heat. So today I took the day off, back at it tomorrow and doing 2 sod jobs next week, which I anticipate not leaving the site on monday until 9pm, clients dont care. Back in april one of my clients asked me if I wanted to barrow his lights so i could work until like 11 in the shade. LOL.

·
Registered
249 Posts
guy i work for we go 10-12 hr days all week. My own biz we usually go like 10 hrs.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Mark McC said:
I'm no longer 27 years old, either! :rolleyes:

Just wait 'til you turkeys hit middle age. You laugh now, I'll laugh later.
Sorry, I needed to update my profile. 28 years young here now. I think I get my drive to work long hours because I know that if I quit early I'll just have more work to do the next day. I also have a hard time saying "no".

·
Registered
530 Posts
I usually go till about 7pm. Honestly I dont really care if they dont want me there. Alot of customers come out and talk alot at those times. I dont have anyone to come home to but my dog. And by that time she already went to the bathroom in the tub. I trained her for that.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
In the Spring, i may work to 8:00pm on some commercial accounts but no residential past 5:00pm. Lately I've been home by 3:00pm each day.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
We are normally done around 4-5PM, but I just got in about 20 mins. ago from hydroseeding. Back out tomorrow for about 2 hrs, and done until Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I start mowing residentials at 6.45 in the morning. Call me a scrub call me what you want, i don't care. I have not ever had a complaint and i even picked up neighbors of the houses i mow that early. I'll mow untill 7.30-8 at night. I only have 14 lawns, so i try to get them all done on thrusdays and part of friday mornings.

When i am land scaping many times i will work untill dark. If you work an extra 2 hours every night its like a 8 day week.

I never once had a customer complain about me working too late or too early. I am sure they are just shock to see such a hard working and dedicated young man.

Matt

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
DLCS said:
In the Spring, i may work to 8:00pm on some commercial accounts but no residential past 5:00pm. Lately I've been home by 3:00pm each day.
Hey DLCS, I'm across the Mississippi from you, had been working 10-12 hour days until this dang drought :help: Still busy with other services I've been up selling, but it has been nice to get home around 3 in the afternoon, especially with the heat & humidity.

-Geoff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.