Working with a small hill

dmk395

LawnSite Bronze Member
Client had a water pipe fixed running from the street to her house. The hill in front of the house was torn up. Before it was an area she let run will, mostly weeds a few plantings etc. The hill is now bare soil with tons of rocks etc. Her concern was the looks of it, full of softball size stones. My idea was to rake them out, then maybe seed with something quick (rye grass) to keep the hill from quickly eroding. Any other ideas, that are cheap and easy, or am I way off with this?

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
Definitly want to put something down quick. I would go with something like what dependable suggested. A nice low growing ground cover. Your taking a big risk with seed. One good rain shower and the seed washes down the hill.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
D

dmk395

LawnSite Bronze Member
If I put down junipers, how many would I put down on a hill 10 feet x 30 feet?

OP
D

dmk395

LawnSite Bronze Member
I know daylillies will work, anyone know of other flowers? Junipers arent a big fan of this client

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
Day pillows will disappear in the off season. You may lose the hill then. If she doesn't like the juniper idea how about pakisandra. Good luck with the project.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
I wouldn't pack the hill with only day lilly. Maybe some mixed in with other perennials. how steep is the hill? Blue rug isn't the only choice for juniper either. Maybe try gray owl or a golden variety spaced farther apart--they kind of fan out above ground instead of on top of the ground.