Working with builders/construction tradesmen

Mr. Midwest

LawnSite Member
Do you guys currently work with construction companies? What i mean by this is are construction companies refering you to do the hardscape/softscape for the homes they build. Last year i did some work for a company that puts up manufactured homes and this year i am trying to put a system in place so he can act as a lead generator for me. If you have experiece with a similar situation i was wondering what type of comensation you give to the builder if at all? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

sven1277

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm bidding on the hardscaping for the model home in a new subdivision. Win this and I will be able to offer package prices to the remaining new homes going in. It will be wrapped into the mortgage. I personally hate dealing with development companies because they don't have any ties to the community or loyalty, but the chance to do projects on a bunch of houses in the same neighborhood plus the possibility of maintenance accounts after the work is hard to pass up. They always want the lowest price possible. Tell them what they want to hear. Price it as best you can, but make a damn profit, too. Good luck.

OP
M

Mr. Midwest

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the response. This company installs modular/manufactured homes and does roughly 50 homes a year. I have done work for the owner in the past at his office and home and i see opportunity in putting together a system that allows me to landscape the homes he puts in. I am trying to stress to the guy that this would be a more of a added bonus to the potential homeowner than a big money maker to him. He currently doesnt offer landscapeing from any other companies. Understanding that it is business i am sure he will want some type of compensation for the leads but their will not be much room to give him a large sum of money. Just wondering if you guys have found a way to make builders see the convience factor that i am bringing to the table.

Dirt Boy

LawnSite Senior Member
Good luck, I think you would have to tie any reward back to amount of work that actually comes your way.
BUT, you're dealing with lower end homes typically I'm guessing....not slamming mfg,d. homes by any means, as there are some very nice ones, but I would venture to say that these are people that are going to be trying to save money and landscaping is one of those areas.
- how do you have any idea what the customer would want?

just my $.0001 worth.:)

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
They make sure the kitchens look good. The landscapes alot of time are thrown together on the cheap, so they look alright from the kitchen window. The problems with the plants and the lack of adequate soil under the turf doesn't show up until a year after the place has sold. That's what I find alot around here.

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
This would apply different for hardscapes, but by offering them a fixed profit margin, it helps.

For something like sod/hydroseeding you would offer them 'bulk' pricing regardless of size. Because they will make up for it in the amount of work. IE, you would charge them the same to do a 2000 sq/ft lot as you would to do a 10,000 sq/ft lot. Because he will give you 10,000 square feet of work in a week easily.

For hardscaping it's a bit different. You don't have a fixed price. But by offering him a x% reduction in profit, he can still make money off your work and you don't lose money.

You will basically be a sub contractor for him, not getting leads. You will probably be paid after 30 days if you're working with a builder. And the work will go under his name. Just like the dry waller, plumber, etc...

If you simply want to just get referrals from the guy, you can offer him a percentage, the same way, upon completion. This is probably the best way to go, it means you are dealing with getting paid by a home owner, not a builder - way easier, and you can get a deposit up front. (most builders will not want to do this)

Make some brochures, business cards and put them together and give them to the guy to hand out. Explain you will give him money for an leads you sell. That gives him incentive to do it.