1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Workman's compensation for solos?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Toro 44, Mar 8, 2006.


    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    toro 44 i sent you a pm
  2. grassman2001

    grassman2001 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 68

    toro 44 where are you on the west side. I see you are riding a great dane scamper, so you go to schwabs
  3. Eclipse

    Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,149

    I just went though this scenario yesterday. It would be difficult to recover on a workers comp claim against yourself if you are the business owner or a principle officer of the company. I believe for this reason, most owners/officers exclude themselves from their worker comp policy.

    You can still get workers Comp even if you don't have employees. Your premium will be next to nothing, assuming you excluded yourself.

    BTW - Workers comp around here is about $4.40 per $100.
  4. Toro 44

    Toro 44 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 155

    Yeppers. I actually bought the mower used (had like 100 hrs.) from one of there employees. Ya I know Dan and the rest of the gang.

    I do basicly everything west of I75. I'm pretty small, 50+ clients (small props) so you'le probably never see me.

    do you run danes?
  5. Idahopondman

    Idahopondman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 12

    Idaho just passed a law that requires any contractor who does over $2000 per year to get a contractors license. You have to have workers comp and liability insurance. For $300.00 a year I can get workers comp which covers me and if I need to hire temps it will keep me out of the doghouse. I dont know about your state but you might check into that.
  6. PaulJ

    PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,774

    I was told that here workmans comp willl not cover you as the owner of the company, only employees. Also the minimum to get it is over $1000 a year then based on payroll depening on the type of work.
  7. bearcatlawn

    bearcatlawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 32

    I think if you have no payroll it is like $10 every 6 months. You just fill out no payroll on the form and send in the $10. Then BWC sends you a certificate showing you paid and you can present this with your contracts.
  8. MStine315

    MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 789

    My agent has a certificate I fill out to use as a waiver of workman's comp. It's basically just a form showing I am a sole prop., advertising as such, and a list of other people I've worked for. PM me and I can fax a blank copy to you, or ask your agent. Keep in mind it may be a state to state thing, though. Marc

    TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,138

    Why,if you are solo the reason for workers comp is for workers,they will try to sell you on it keep your cost down.

Share This Page