1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Worms commiting suicide......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know what the cause was but one of my stops today had about 60 or so dead nightcrawler type worms on the driveway. I thought it was grass clippings but as I got closer I saw it was worms. Sorry I don't have any pics I had forgotten the camera today.

Anybody know what is going on with all the dead worms? Are they just suicidal.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Rain in your area??? (If so consider yourself lucky. We are DYING!)

3. Carolina Cutter

Nope, no rain lately.........and EVERYTHING is dry.....weeds are thriving though...imagine that!

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

rain will wash them out. So will over salting I mean over fertilizing with the cheap stuff.

My guess would be cheap fert or some other kind of chemical irritant.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

No rain in Southern Pines? We've had perfect if not too much rain.

6. Carolina Cutter

Been dry for over a week with temps in the 90's....everything is REAL dry around here.....they had to water A LOT for the open.

7. Carolina Cutter

I bet you are on to something...the front yard is REALLY thick.....lots of grass blades on the lawn after I cut.....I usually have to take the blower and disperse them after the cut.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Glad I could help.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

None to amount to anything here in Greensboro either. We are 6" behind for the year as of today.

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

In our cases here though I don't think that is it. You are like here very dry and I think that has a lot to do with it. The reason I say that is on Monday on a street here that has about 20 houses we mow 11 of them and the dead worms were everywhere, in the drives and on the street and I know these had 1) not been hit with cheap fert and 2) not been fert'd lately because we also do that on these accts.

Anyway I bet the worms left alive thought that the "worm rapture" had come cause the Shin 630 and the RedMax 8000 were blowing them 10 feet in the air. :laugh: