Worst Accident or Mishap Incurred while using ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JLH52, Oct 4, 2019.

1. JLH52

JLH52 LawnSite Member

I thought that by sharing your story of an accident or mishap that occurred by you or your employee during operation of a ZTR might prevent others from future mistakes.

Sometimes we make careless mistakes, other times accidents occur by no fault of our own. Either way our mistakes or accidents can often be injurious or fatal.

With that being said, on my farm I cut around 2 ponds with straight up vertical banks, no slopes. I run mower as close to edge as possible to eliminate as much string trimming as possible. Today I realized how much I'm jeopardizing my own safety just to get few inches closer to edge. If the bank caved in or if I made a slight error or misjudgment my mower and I would be in deep water. I also cut along several 10 ft. deep ditches also with straight up vertical banks.

As of today I will make it a point to stay further away from edge of ponds and ditches and spend a few more minutes with trimmer. Just by voicing my foolishness it has made determined to be more cautious in the future.

Thought for today : When everything goes wrong, don’t go with it.

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Well I almost flipped my 36 stander the other day going up a slope. Scared the stuff out of me blood cold type of thing. But it doesn't count because I didn't. Yeah, I knew it was steep. Lesson learned .

3. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you got to be very careful around ponds and river banks as they can get undermined with the water churning and the banks can give way easily.

I always tell people to wear glasses when mowing. You never know when a stick or worse yet a thorn could catch you in the eye when going around the perimeter of some trees/brush.

4. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

I’ve flipped my Z spray two different times, get er back on all fours and keep going. The first time I was not myself, not feeling good from smashing my toe with a jackhammer the previous day. Tried going up a steep hill and goosed the bars forward harder than I thought, usually with 10 good toes I could jump off the back and wrangle ‘er down. I wasn’t on top of my game and bailed when the machine was past the point of no return. Thankfully the rain cover held in 95% of the material in the hopper and the tanks didn’t leak!

5. GrassManKzoo

Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Almost got a branch through my throat 3 weeks ago. Ducking under low branches and stuck my head up too soon. Hurt super bad, covered my throat and ran to the truck to assess the damage and had a nasty scrape.

6. GrassManKzoo

Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Ricocheted a rock off a tree once, I watched it come off the tree and right into my eye. Had a ridiculous eye patch for a few days.

7. OP
    OP
    JLH52

JLH52 LawnSite Member

Based on number of views (221) and number of replies (5) of this post which is 2.2%. Evidently there have been very few accidents or others are so inclined to share their story.

8. BC Mowing & Tilling LLC

BC Mowing & Tilling LLC LawnSite Member

Had an employee dead stop a stand on at full speed, flipped him right over the front. The bar above the muffler kept him from getting a burn tattoo on his face.

9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Did the same things as an employee. Figured I take a short cut through a mulch bed and not go the long way jumping curbs. Going full speed I hit a stump just high enough to catch the deck. Stopped machine dead in it's tracks. Myself I kept going right over the controls and head first into the dang stump that started this whole mess.

10. Highland79

Highland79 LawnSite Member

I stood a Lazer z straight up going up a slope that was too steep. Barely got it to sit back down and nearly flipped it over backwards, roll bar was down too. Don't recall the model, but it was light in the front.
    Coworker slid one off an embankment on wet grass, got too close to the edge and lost it, the front wheels hit the road about 5 feet below and the ass end wedged partway up the bank with the wheels spinning, he was thrown out of the seat and landed in the middle of the road.
    Remarkably, no major injuries, and the mower was undamaged.
    Zero's can do some pretty amazing terrain, but don't get overly bold, keep good tread and don't kill yourself to save a few minutes of weedeating!