Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of this season I was at one of my yards, I cut every week, I had cut the grass, and was trimming up near the house!!, when all of a sudden I heard a loud pop, I looked and the back window of her MERCEDES M30 somethin, was on the ground, I must had threw a stone at it with the trimmer!!!, anyone else have a bad accident like this one!, Oh, I paid for the window, it was my second cousins house, cost me bout 400 bucks!:( :dizzy:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was trimming along a concrete wall and my trimmer threw a rock and hit the window of a car driving down the street(a busy street) I didnt even realize what had happened until the driver confronted me. Cost me about 100bucks.:( :angry:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm up to 3 windows, one fence, and one swiped car with the trailer. All by the employees. I now tell them they have to pay half of all damages, it has slowed them down a bit.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
One of my guys took out the back slider on one of my trucks a couple of weeks ago with a trimmer. I actually saw it happen and when I told him, he didn't believe. Then I showed him what can happen. Luckily, it cost me under 50 bucks to replace.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yep, last season. Had been cutting this client for about 8 or so years and this was going to be the very last time we cut that house because they had sold it. Was late on a Saturday afternoon, and my guy weedeating put a stone through the back window of her PT cruiser. Went to the door, and told her how sad it was to lose them as a customer and that unfortunately we took out the back window. She came screaming <MY CARRRRRR as she ran out to see it and then back into the house crying.

Rented them car so she could get to work on Monday while I had the window replaced. Cost me bout 550 or 600 bucks.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
I have been lucky enough, knock on wood, that I have only broke one window. It the first time that I was doing a hotel and the stone flew and broke the office window. The manager was a nice guy and told me not to worry about, stuff happens.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Been mowing a yard i could not get along with owner for nearly the whole season. then she came up with a scratch in a hub cap on her toyota. She was gonna sue me even though i couldnt figure out how i did it, and it didnt seem to match any of my moers. told her to get an estimate, she came back to me with a bill for $125.00 for a hub cap. I paid part and mowed for the rest of the bill till it was settled.

After it was settled, i informed her i would only finish out the year and would not be back the following year. She could not understand why i would not come back the following year? Latter found out a friend worked a 555 bachoe at her property for 5 hours sent her a bill for only $200.00 because they lived on the same road, and he didnt have to load and unload. she went off the deep end. he ask her what she thought it was worth she said 35-40 dollars. he said never mind, just consider it free!

·
Registered
106 Posts
So far this year 2 conservatory windows $200 each and a rear window in a passing Landcruiser $400. First windows in 5 years! so much fo my insurancem I have to pay $500 of each claim.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I realize I've never had the problem, but my agent tells me that's why I have insurance, and that my rates won't go up if have a claim.............

·
Registered
305 Posts
Our first year, we had some house trailers in a trailer court we were doing. I was trimming along the triler skirt and it was brittle and I wacked a hole in it. It was really brittle because I think I was using .80 string and I wouldn't go full throttle that first year, so it's not like I was rushing or not being careful. LUCKILY, that has been my only problem since we started.

On the other hand, my husband, the mower king, chopped the leg of a swingset in half this year with our Scag ZTR. I was trimming and heard the noise, and about died because it is an $80.00 weekly residential account. We also do 2 commercials for the guy that owns this house. I was so afraid we'd lose the accounts. The owner was soo cool about it. He said he was going to get a new swingset anyway and don't worry about it.

Now that I posted on this thread, I better not get jinxed and break something!:)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
My expartner put a rock through a taillight of a customer's car. She never noticed or confronted us on it. :D

I have had people try to pin stuff on me that I didn't have anything to do with. A neighbor of a client asked me to mow while he was away on vacation, total of 3 times. He came back and claimed we smashed our lawnmower into his garage door and dented it. Which was ludicrous because to mow his yard we didn't need to be anywhere near his garage door. Went to look at it, and noticed the dents lined up perfectly with the front bumper on his car. I pointed it out to him, and promptly asked for the balance owed on his account. He paid up and shut up.

Just this year, I was mowing at a montessori school I do in the downtown area. I mow on Sundays there because there is always a ton of cars parked in front of the building any other time. Sundays nothing. 2nd time I mowed this year some guy was parked in front by the road. I mowed the yard, went past his car, no problems. When I was blowing the sidewalks off, he came out and carefully inspected the car, and then looked at the signs on my truck (never mind the fact I was there for an hour and he could have moved his car at ANY TIME in that hour!). I noticed, and before I left I took several close pictures of his car along the side where I mowed by. No damage whatsoever to his car. Sure enough a week later he called claiming I scratched it all up and put a dent in it. I called my lawyer, gave him the pictures, and the lawyer called him back informing him about my pictures. THe guy hung up on the lawyer and I've never heard back from him.

Jerks.
:mad:

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Part of doing business. Yeah it stinks when it happens, just have to get used to it.

We've taken out sliding doors, storm doors. Windshields, back or side windows. large arched windows and even vinyl siding. Some you pay for some you don't. Some you let the insurance handle it.

Every year we get a couple neighboring properties call me about a broken car window. They do not use our service and I always get the call like 2 or 3 days after we have been to our client. I ask "Why did you wait 3 days to call me?" "Your guy cut your lawn the morning your window was broken, call them"

Or I get answer like this. Same scenario as above. I tell them that your guy just cut your lawn that day or the day before. We were at your neighbors 3 or 4 days ago. And they are telling me the window was broken yesterday. So why are they calling me? I am told that their guy refuses to be held responsible. Again, so why are they calling me? Over the years we have gained a few of these as customers, for the simple fact that had we definitely broken the window we would have it replaced.

My policy on repairing broken windows is. Customer pays for the repair. I must have a copy of the repair bill. We work off the cost till it's paid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.