Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you all have had some bad days I just wonder if any were worse than the day I had today (I mean at work, not any tragic loss). Well it started with only 1.5 hrs sleep and got worse from there. I am a firefighter and like most I have a couple jobs. Anyway as I stated before I had a long night and was scheduled to instruct a confined space rescue class at a local university where I work, I also cut the grass at this facility and sense there were going to be other instructors there I figured I would double dip and take 2 hrs and get paid for an extra day ($160, they pay me for a day when I cut even if I am instructing). After stopping by my house to pick up my equipment my truck wouldn't start, while getting ol' Black Betty running I smashed my finger cut the tip and still can't feel anything in the tip, but no big deal. Well after cutting with my main mower I decided to jump on my backup and do some trimming under some spots my Z won't reach, well after about five minutes while backing up the mower turns to the left, I look back and see a huge cloud of white smoke and oil going everywhere. I shut it down and next I see flames rising from around the engine cowling, so I jump off the mower and scramble for an extingtuisher. When the fire is out, I see a busted hydro hose and the tear is directed right into the exhaust which is why it caught fire. I decided then to wait until tomorrow to remove the hose and try to replace it as soon as possible. I was able to finish the class a little early, and decided since I was already hot and dirty I would hit one of my accounts on the way home to try and stay ahead of the rain, well with about 10 min left to cut, dripping with sweat and clippings stuck to my safety glasses I hang my deck on a small stump. Instead of taking my time and looking to see how bad its hung I give it the old grunt method pull my sticks back and snatch it off. Guess what, I bent a baffle on the deck enough to catch the blade. Now instead of 10 min I'm beating and banging under the deck for a half hour so I can at least finish. I Felt like one of the crew at Bristol Sat night, but I get it spinning again and finish up. Well after no sleep and a day from he11 I'm finally heading home and my wife calls to remind me about my son at soccer practice, turn around stupid:cry: Needless to say I took it slow all the way home and was a very curteous driver the whole way. Anyway I'm here no worse for the wear, but I sure hope it picks up a little tomorrow. And for all of you that had a great day, its good to know somebody did.

Reg:dizzy:

·
Banned
533 Posts
Reg:

Hopefully you got all the troubles for the week (or more hoefully the month) out of the way and the rest of it will be a breeze for you. Thats what I hope for you anyway !!! :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought my first Exmark today and I have to try to keep myselp from regreting it but as always everyting always turns out for the best just try to stay as positive as you can and maybe you would have got into a car accident if those things wouldn't have happened. timing is every thing.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Regret buying an Exmark? NEVER! :D I've had some bad days. The day I broke my shoulder and realized I wouldn't be able to work for 6 weeks (4 more weeks to go!) was the worst I have faced yet. It will get better.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
regnort, sounds like you're your own worst enemy. Sorry, just have no empathy for some guy bragging about "double dipping", being paid to be on duty as a firefighter and wanting more buy cutting at the same time.
You get paid buy the city right, mucho benefits too, wonder how they'd appreciate the fact that you're getting paid, not doing your job, and getting paid again by grass cutting.
For the stump part, you can only abuse equipment so much before it fights back.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Had a lousy day yesterday also.Got home from my full time job and got ready for an afternoon nap(since I didn't have a lawn to mow yesterday).Realtor calls and says they have someone that wants to see the house.They'll be there in an hour.
I get the dog and put her in her pen outside.She never stays in there.She's either in the backyard or the house.
Well,I'm plucking dead heads off of some petunias and I keep hearing her yelp.I figure she just wants out of the pen so I continue plucking.Finally,her yelps don't sound normal so I go to investigate.Yellow Jackets everywhere and she's getting hammered.Seems they built a nest inside the pen.I try to let her out but I'm getting hammered all over the head so I run back to the house.My 10 year old daughter is screaming and crying by now after I tell what's happened and to help me into my coveralls.INSULATED coveralls.
It's 94 degrees outside and I'm running out there in my coveralls with an insulated coat over my head for more protection.I finally get the pooch out and we go up to the house where she just falls over and won't move.She's throwing up and shivering.
I call the wife and she decides to come home to meet the realtor so I can take the dog to the vet.Luckily,she's ok and so am I.I got 4 or 5 stings on my noggin.No telling how many she got.
I got my revenge last night.Went out after dark and sprayed all in the hole with wasp and hornet killer.Little s.o.b.'s.
Hope that's it for the week.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Originally posted by NickN

I got my revenge last night.Went out after dark and sprayed all in the hole with wasp and hornet killer.Little s.o.b.'s.
Hope that's it for the week.
Gasoline & Diesel fuel would have been much more revengeful !:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Originally posted by Lawn Tek
Gasoline & Diesel fuel would have been much more revengeful !:D
and then a CAREFULLY applied match! Got hit by 15 of 'em in a spot the size of a baseball when I was a kid. Leg swole up so fast, they had to cut my pants off. Hated 'em ever since.

P.S. TRex, I bought my first eXmark last month, and am VERY prone to buyers remourse. and have not had a second of regret. That's unusual for me.
Norm

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rustic goat,

"mucho benifits" ????

I pay almost $400.00 a month for health insurance, another $75.00 a month for medications, and another $200.00 a month for dental insurance.

Hows that for "mucho benifits". Firefighters Have always been on the bottom of the pay scale. If REGNORT can hustle and make a little extra, Than more power to him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goat, you didn't read it right I wasn't on duty with FD I was instructing a class for the University here, and yes they pay me extra to cut even if I am already being paid to instruct because they realize I have alot more cost involved in cutting than I do to teach someone how to save anothers life (sounds kinda backwards) anyway they also recognize how noce the property stays. As far as the benefits with the department yeah they are great no raise in 6 years other than the promotions I've earned, increased health insurance premiums, manpower cut backs that make my job more dangerous. Don't get me wrong I love my job and I'm glad they don't know how little I'm willing to do it for but if you think the fire service is gravy work you need to do a little research it is always ranked on the top three most dangerous professions in the US. Thanx for the word Griffin it amazes me how people just expect us to show up and risk our lives for their loved ones, or even their property and have no sympathy when you try to get raises for your family. I make alot more money sitting on a mower than I do driving a fire truck, anyway gotta go

Reg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Regnort, I hear ya I've got two extra jobs on my days off to pay for the privledge of having the best underpaid job in the world. Just like cutting grass I wouldn't change being a FF but people think that it's just sitting around doing nothing all day long and getting paid for it. I have people that wonder why I can deal with PITA customers and I tell them heck the people that call 911 are no better. But as to the post remember every day you wake up and you do not find your name in the obits is a good day.:angel:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.