1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Worst employee experience 2018

Discussion in 'Employment' started by rclawn, Nov 13, 2018.

1. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the worst/ funniest experience you’ve had with short lived employees this year?

I had to fire a guy for relieving himself (malisciously) on a clients lawn. The guy was caught on camera in the act, and even tried to argue. But this wasn’t the craziest.

There was a guy who we had to get rid of because he was almost a sociopath. He would tell customers he was me, and actually was able to convince a few (some customers haven’t met me personally). What’s weird is he wasn’t doing this to try and collect the check- never even asked one client for money. Instead he would just make up things about the company, and insist on how wealthy he was despite carrying a string trimmer all day for $13 an hour. One customer even dropped us because he kept trying to get her to go on a date with him. Another made me aware that he was bidding on jobs they didn’t even want done. Once I found about this, a longtime client agreed to help me set him up to prove wrongdoing. In the recording, the guy is describing how many trucks he owns and that he also owns two burger king’s (funny because he flipped fries before entering landscaping) but he is “humbled” in doing trimming for the crew one day a week. He then talks about how good of a boss he is and he’s helped so many people work their way up in the company. The guy was working for around 6 weeks at this time. When confronted, he freaked out and told me he was taking over my company (???). Ended up having to call the police because he blocked the parking lot from anyone leaving, then kept trying to get others to “join him”.

I hope he got the help he needs

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hired someone to mulch and they let themselves into the house. Fired.

3. rclawn

As in he broke in to a customers house?! I thought i’d seen it all but a B&E that is intense

4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

House was foreclosed but still let himself in and showed himself around, gave me the down low..

No reason to touch the door

5. rclawn

I like how he told you about it like you were going to be impressed or reward him lol

6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

And then you wonder why some chose to stay solo.

7. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes I think to myself "maybe I should go back to being solo" but reality kicks in. Pay cut? What about an injury??

8. rclawn

If I could clone myself as a laborer 10 times, i’d be rich!

L33, kemco, landscaper22 and 2 others like this.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I couldn't stand to be around 2 of me let alone 10.

10. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Not really a worker story so much, but a client/worker story.
    Back about 5 years ago, my worker Sam and I finished up a lady's lawn.
    She was in her upper 80s.
    Sam had a rip in his pants right on his thigh. As we are chatting with the lady, suddenly she shoves her hand all the way into the hole in Sam's pants and says. Oh my you have a big hole.
    Sam just turned bright red. We get in the truck and bust out laughing.