Worst employee experience 2018

Discussion in 'Employment' started by rclawn, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer LawnSite Member

1st guy Heroin junkie. He hung around for most of the season and luckily quit on his own and sent me some big long text about how it’s nothing personal and that his new job will be a better fit. A week later he calls back wanting his job back, but I said sorry.. seats taken. Just started getting letters about him trying to file for unemployment off of me... I screen grabbed his text where he quit and sent it back to L&I. I’m positive it will be denied but stranger things have happened.

Tried to fire him mid summer but he went ape **** and started trying to slash his arms with trimmer string and threatened to off himself. Accused me of being in humane.

2nd guy here today, gone tomorrow... rehab.

3rd guy here today, wants paid, gets paid, never heard from again.

4th guy... awesome worker. Better than me. Did everything I asked. Didn’t beg for money every evening for “laundry” (stamp bag). Met him at bus stop on a rained out pay day and haven’t seen him since. Jail. -His dad called that night and left me a message and said dude called him and told him to immediately call me. This was Oct 16.. I believe he’s under mandatory 90 days before he gets to see a judge. I scoured his records and it’s just stupid chit. Can’t wait to get him back.

5th guy.. Mexican preacher that turned his life around. Probably 500 lbs. A sloth would beat this man in a moving contest. But he had a clean driving record, own vehicle, extremely respectful and did everything asked of him and didn’t complain. We were taking 5 min for water and casually conversing when he stepped back a hair and stepped on a piece of gravel. It was like watching a tree sway before it uproots... slow motion. You’ve never seen anything like it. It felt like it took 2 min for him to fall over... he tried to catch himself and tore his rotator cuff.

6th guy.. he’s ok. Overpaid but a colleague of mine sends his early layoffs my way so I take what I can get. Dude tries to get paid everyday cause rents due... it’s annoying I just tell him no. Tuesday’s. He drives, but doesn’t have a car. So I gotta pick him up all the time so I just send him home with my truck.

Valk and hort101 like this.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

You just can’t make that stuff up.

Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  3. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Platinum Member

For situations like this. I may suggest that you get some of those simple, inexpensive pee cups to Drug Test your new hires.
    I know that countrywidetesting.com/ makes at-the-moment urine test cups called QuickScreen.
    At best, testing new hires at your office before you even putting them in the field, may minimize the problem of inadvertently hiring dopers!

sjessen likes this.
  4. Jack Hammer

I’ll also add that that this is a recurring issue year in and year out. Just swap out the old cast with new characters. I’m sure it’s no different than anyone else.

Also, they say take care of your employees. I pay well above what I should and run a country club essentially. Just get the work done. It’s not that hard. We all have bills to pay for so everybody needs to have a job.

You hire these guys and lay out exactly what you expect of them, exactly when they will be paid, what they can expect before they get a raise, etc... they come to work for the first week and are shot out of a cannon and then the regression slowly starts. They go from 10 min early to the exact start time to 15 min late. Then the call offs happen. Then they pull you aside and ask for advances. Then they start cutting corners. Then they start wrecking your chit. Then they complain about how they’re not paid enough.

This can’t be limited to just myself.

I’ve used indeed. The candidates there are just as bad as craigslist and it’s incredibly expensive.

Tara Ann, sjessen and hort101 like this.
  5. MLGA

MLGA LawnSite Member

first day we were doing a quick hedge job. i didnt pay too much attention to him and he filled up one of my 131r kombis with gas w/ no oil. hit the side of my truck with the articulation head and made a semi decent sized dent right above the gas tank. gone after 3 hours.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Platinum Member

Ouch!:cry: Those are some of the worst!! :dizzy:
    The goofs that have ZERO knowledge in fuel-powered equipment, and consequently have no clue that "YES" there is different gas mixes for various different equipment.
    Reminds me of my very first job on a maintenance crew at a golf course. A goofball co-worker mixed SAE-30 oil with gas on the theory that "It's close enough".
    Needless to say, that commercial-grade push mower, first knocked, and then never worked again!

hort101 likes this.
  7. Jack Hammer

And these are the guys that come in claiming to have 15 years of landscape experience.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

IT"S NOT! it's all over the entire country.
    Hang in there, man, can't you just feel those better, brighter days up ahead? lol

Tara Ann and hort101 like this.
  9. Jack Hammer

Indeed. It’s the only thing that keeps me from throwing in the towel. There’s always next year.

Tara Ann and hort101 like this.
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

One nice thing about a recession is a slightly better class of potential hires to choose from.

Tara Ann and Walker56 like this.