1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Worth the switch?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Dandan111, Jun 1, 2017.

1. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm more concerned with the lawns that have never been treated & are real mess. Most ppl like the idea of organic but when it comes down to it they want to see short term results. So my pitch would be to start on a mostly organic program and eventually convert to 100%.

hort101 likes this.
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Contact Myles Buckley at Apgar Sales.
    http://apgarsales.com/
    He can help you develop a good plan of attack.

hort101 likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Thick healthy grass is key to having less weed problems. Be sure every possible condition for growth of grass is at the optimum level. Soil test. Lime? Irrigation? Shade problem? Old fashioned or cheap seed originally? Too much rye? Resod with a sports turf-quality bluegrass. If not, overseed frequently with one of the dense types of Kentucky bluegrass:
    Limousine for instance, maybe Langara or Quantum Leap. Maybe Bluenote.
    More expensive seed--but explain it to the customer and charge the customer what it costs. Be sure to mention to the customer that you are the only one who can get this premium seed. You will probably have to buy it from the regional salesman 100 pounds minimum.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    hort101 likes this.
  4. phasthound

Excellent points Riggle! Sound cultural management is the key to success. Just remember that seed choice depends on you region. KBG is a good choice for the Zone 5, while a mix of mostly TTTF & Perennial Rye with 10% or less KBG may be the better choice for Zone 6 & some of Zone 7.

hort101 likes this.
  5. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Talked to my father who is retiring from his job but wants to do organic...he says he won't use traditional pesticides/chemicals whatsoever. So from what I've read - lawns with bad weed problems could take a good 3 seasons to get completely under control ??(using organics only).

6. phasthound

There is no simple answer to that question. It depends upon the condition of the turf and the soil, what type of weeds are present, the experience and skill of the person managing the turf.
    You can learn more here:
    http://www.organiclandcare.net/