Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
You really do not see ST's much anymore. The base model on most dealer lots will be the SXT. The SXT has a base package with things like power doors, locks, mirrors, and heated mirrors. It will have cruise and a CD player. The resale value of an SXT is much better then an ST even thought you will pay about the same for both. Gas HD Rams have a really bad resale and if you go to a 3500 SRW it will only get worse because the cost per mile to operate is not very good.

HD Ram sales are around 90% plus in favor of the oil burners. GMC/Chevy favors the gassers more then Ram or Ford. If you want a truck you won't be stuck with for life and gas is your thing I would ponder the GM's. They will hold their value much better. Good luck, hopefully you make a ton of money and can throw down for a beastly 6.7 big C under the hood.

Seems reasonable.

For me, I'd have to consider a crew cab for the extra storage and leg room. It'll come in handy, especially if one were to have helpers.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
You really do not see ST's much anymore. The base model on most dealer lots will be the SXT. The SXT has a base package with things like power doors, locks, mirrors, and heated mirrors. It will have cruise and a CD player. The resale value of an SXT is much better then an ST even thought you will pay about the same for both. Gas HD Rams have a really bad resale and if you go to a 3500 SRW it will only get worse because the cost per mile to operate is not very good.

HD Ram sales are around 90% plus in favor of the oil burners. GMC/Chevy favors the gassers more then Ram or Ford. If you want a truck you won't be stuck with for life and gas is your thing I would ponder the GM's. They will hold their value much better. Good luck, hopefully you make a ton of money and can throw down for a beastly 6.7 big C under the hood.
I haven't seen a SXT on a dealers lot, or on the road for that matter around here in years (and back then the SXT was just a "tad" fancier ST, not even a SLT). They're either ST's, SLT's, Big Horn's or Laramie's.

On reason I want a ST/Tradesman model is for the manual lever operated 4x4 system over the electric operated 4x4 system. I'm not to worried about resale, I keep trucks along time and used gas 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4 trucks are very popular and always wasn't in my area, be it GMC/Chevy, Dodge or Ford.

Thanks, NYH1.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Seems reasonable.

For me, I'd have to consider a crew cab for the extra storage and leg room. It'll come in handy, especially if one were to have helpers.
I want the 8' bed, but don't want the truck to be any longer then a regular cab long box truck is. At this point and at least for a while this setup should work fine.

Thanks, NYH1.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
If you're keeping your 1500 Ram for personal use, why not get a 1-ton(or larger) dump for work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe getting a dump insert that could be put in and removed could be an option down the road. However, I want a regular pickup truck. Definitely not a dual rear wheel set up.

Thanks, NYH1.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I finally got my new truck. It's a 2015 Reg. Cab 2500 Tradesman, 4x4. It's awesome. The new 6.4L Hemi with the 4:10 gears is a big step up in performance from my other truck, my '07 Ram 1500 Quad Cab short box 4x4 with 5.7L Hemi and 3:92 gears.

I only got on like the owners manual said to, a few short full throttle accelerations up to the speed limit. It rides pretty good for a 3/4 ton, not like the old ones that's for sure. I just have to figure which Fisher Plow I'm going to get. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 8.5' Xtreme V.

Here are some of the opinions-
6.4-Liter V8 Mid Duty HEMI MDS Engine
Popular Equipment Group
Snow Chief Group
Chrome Appearance Group
Protection Group
Power and Remote Entry Group
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
Rear Sliding Window
Trailer Brake Control
5th Wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep Group

Can't wait to push snow, NYH1!

I just have to figure which Fisher Plow I'm going to get. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 8.5' Xtreme V.
Have you considered Hiniker plows? They have some pretty innovative stuff. There's a dealer in the Chicago area who has a ton of videos on YT showing them in action.
Posted via Mobile Device

You waited almost 2 years from the time you started this thread til you bought a truck?! Good lord you must be the most patient person on earth

Let's see some pictures anyways!
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Have you considered Hiniker plows? They have some pretty innovative stuff. There's a dealer in the Chicago area who has a ton of videos on YT showing them in action.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm staying with Fisher. I have another truck that has a Fisher so I'll be able to use either plow on my trucks.

Thanks, NYH1

Discussion starter · #51 ·
You waited almost 2 years from the time you started this thread til you bought a truck?! Good lord you must be the most patient person on earth

Let's see some pictures anyways!
Posted via Mobile Device
I paid cash so I had to wait until the time was right. Glad I waited. I got the newer 6.4L Hemi engine. All the new heavy duty Rams 3/4 and 1 tons come with the AAM 11.5" rearend, instead of the AAM 10.5" rearend they used to put in the gassers. There are some other things I like about the 2015's too.

I don't know how to post pic's. My son posted one here. It's post #9.

Thanks, NYH1.

Just bought a new F-250 Crew earlier this year. Love the truck but every time I load my 14K dump trailer with a load and my rear end is dragging on the ground I wish I had gotten the 1-ton with the stiffer rear end. Otherwise it's a great truck.

^^^ Agreed.

I pull a 12K capacity dump trailer, on a regular basis. Without an Air-Lift system, my 1/2T's rear suspension would be almost on the bump stops, with the trailer empty. I set mine up with the auto-height system, which is wired through a switch to turn it off. Otherwise, it'll constantly adjust itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I run PacBrake Airbags on both. I had Firestones on my last truck but I like the PacBrakes better. They also have a lifetime warranty on the bags.

With my prior 3/4 I used to tow 18K with my triple axle trailer. I now tow 30K and even as much as 34K a few times with my one ton.

I have 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I run PacBrake Airbags on both. I had Firestones on my last truck but I like the PacBrakes better. They also have a lifetime warranty on the bags.
Those convoluted air springs don't ride as well as the single sleeve design. That's why the commercial market no longer uses them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just bought a new F-250 Crew earlier this year. Love the truck but every time I load my 14K dump trailer with a load and my rear end is dragging on the ground I wish I had gotten the 1-ton with the stiffer rear end. Otherwise it's a great truck.
Did you get the 6.2 or 6.7? I really can't make up my mind but I'm leaning towards 350 crew 6.2. If it's the 6.2, how does it tow 14k pounds?

Did you get the 6.2 or 6.7? I really can't make up my mind but I'm leaning towards 350 crew 6.2. If it's the 6.2, how does it tow 14k pounds?
Would also love to know.

I'm replacing a 7.3 f250. Trying to decide if the 6.2 gas Ford motor will have the power to pull my 14k trailer full time.

Any opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #59 ·
Had a new Fisher 8.5' SS Xtreme V installed alone with Timbrens in the front last week.....let it snow...let it snow...let it snow!

NYH1.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.