Lawn Care Forum banner

Would a 3/4 or 1 ton truck be better?

19K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  NYH1 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting a new truck. It's going to be my work truck as well as my daily driver. I'm going to go with a new '13 or '14 crew/ext. cab short box, gas engine, 4x4, auto trans. (limited slip/locking rear diff., tow & plow pkg.) I'm not sure if I should go with a 3/4 or 1 ton? Price wise they're about the same. With gas engines their towing capacities are about the same. Their payload capacities are higher in the 1 tons. I will be hauling stuff in the box, but I don't think I'd over load a 3/4 ton.....I don't think.

I'm going to use the truck for plowing and towing trailers. My regular trailers won't weigh more then 4-6,000 lbs. so they're not really a lot. Although I'll most likely be towing daily in the warmer months, so I guess the stress of day to day towing can add up over time.

I'm probably going to go with a Fisher or Western 8 1/2 ft. plow. I'll be doing a lot of residential plowing so I can't go to big. The last two winters here in Central New York have been real mild. Some years have some pretty bad winters here with some serious plowing. I want to make sure I get a truck can handle everything I'm going to use it for. Would it be worth getting a 1 ton just to have a heavier duty truck?

Thanks, NYH1.

See less See more
#52 ·
Just bought a new F-250 Crew earlier this year. Love the truck but every time I load my 14K dump trailer with a load and my rear end is dragging on the ground I wish I had gotten the 1-ton with the stiffer rear end. Otherwise it's a great truck.

#54 ·
^^^ Agreed.

I pull a 12K capacity dump trailer, on a regular basis. Without an Air-Lift system, my 1/2T's rear suspension would be almost on the bump stops, with the trailer empty. I set mine up with the auto-height system, which is wired through a switch to turn it off. Otherwise, it'll constantly adjust itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

#55 ·
I have 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I run PacBrake Airbags on both. I had Firestones on my last truck but I like the PacBrakes better. They also have a lifetime warranty on the bags.

With my prior 3/4 I used to tow 18K with my triple axle trailer. I now tow 30K and even as much as 34K a few times with my one ton.

#56 ·
I have 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I run PacBrake Airbags on both. I had Firestones on my last truck but I like the PacBrakes better. They also have a lifetime warranty on the bags.
Those convoluted air springs don't ride as well as the single sleeve design. That's why the commercial market no longer uses them.
Posted via Mobile Device

#57 ·
Just bought a new F-250 Crew earlier this year. Love the truck but every time I load my 14K dump trailer with a load and my rear end is dragging on the ground I wish I had gotten the 1-ton with the stiffer rear end. Otherwise it's a great truck.
Did you get the 6.2 or 6.7? I really can't make up my mind but I'm leaning towards 350 crew 6.2. If it's the 6.2, how does it tow 14k pounds?

#59 ·
Had a new Fisher 8.5' SS Xtreme V installed alone with Timbrens in the front last week.....let it snow...let it snow...let it snow!

NYH1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.