1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Would a Surfer be Right for me?

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by apalachee, Apr 9, 2003.

1. apalachee

apalachee LawnSite Member

I currently have a small side business and only maintain residential yards that consist of Bermuda and some Fescue. Most of my customers like to have their yards cut at a lower level 1"-1.5" some are smooth and some are rough. I have a Toro Hydro 44" floating deck that does a great job but does not have the speed. Will a surfer give me a good finished cut without tearing up the turf? And how does it handle steep hills and wet terrain. Considering a 48" Surfer.

Thanks, Brian
    Apalachee Landscaping
    Atlanta, Ga

2. Bill Baltzer

Bill Baltzer Great Dane Representative
    from NC

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for your email. You are a prime customer for a Great Dane Super Surfer. The suspended deck gives you the ability to change your height of cut in seconds, and when your constantly going from Bermuda to Fescue, I am sure that will be important to you.

With its extra wide stance, the 48" Super Surfer has great hillside stability, in wet or dry conditions. Obviously, the machine will have some hillside limitations in extremely wet conditions.

Lastly, our quality of cut is second to none. I would recommend doing a time study; where you can use a Super Surfer for a few days and compare the timesavings over your brand. It will be amazing, the national average in timesavings is 20-30%

Thanks again for your email,

Bill Baltzer

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Bill,

I was in the market for a Surfer last fall. My local dealer in Virginia Beach would only allow me a "demo" in his parking lot. He would not even allow me to engage the blades.

Needless to say I have not purchased the Surfer.

What do I have to do to arrange for a demo, on my properties, for a few day's like you suggested above?

Thank you.

4. Bill Baltzer

from NC

Hi Scott,
    It disturbs me to hear that a dealer would not let you demo the machine. That is ridiculous!! Would that dealer buy a car without test-driving it? Absolutely not, how can he expect you to buy a commercial mower without taking it on some of your properties?

Please visit www.greatdanemowers.com and find yourself another dealer. I can assure you, any QUALITY dealer will let you demo it...

Thanks for your email,

Bill

5. Green Pastures

That's what I told him.

I've been to your site and called the dealers in my area.

Aldridge and Chambers is the one I went to in the fall. No demo.....

Turf & Garden in Cheseapeake said they do not carry GD anymore.

Tidewater Mulch does not stock and tried to interest me in a Wright instead.

Aswells Garage is the wrong #.

Guess I'm out of luck unless I want to drive 100 miles?

6. Bill Baltzer

from NC

I checked Aswell's Garage and their number is 757-986-4123. Also, as of March 2003, Tidewater Mulch is back as a Great Dane dealer and has Super Surfers in stock.

Thanks,

Bill

7. Green Pastures

I spoke with Tidewater mulch today at 12:45 pm they informed me that they did not have any Surfers in stock and tried to sell me on a Wright Stander......it had a fixed deck. I said no thanks.

I called Aswell's and they're calling me back about availability and a demo. I'll let you know what they come up with.

8. Green Pastures

Charles Aswell called me back and is willing to demo the new unit he has. It's a 22hp Kohler 52" deck.

He said I could cut grass there at his shop or he'd bring it to me and I could cut my own grass.

That's service, I was looking for.

9. Bill Baltzer

from NC

I know Charles personally, he is a first class dealer.

10. apalachee

apalachee LawnSite Member

Bill,
    Thanks for the help I have arranged to do a time study starting this Saturday. S&S Ace Hardware in Buford Ga. (Marty) is going to let me use a 52" Surfer. I was also hoping to hear from some landscapers that are currently using a Surfer and how it works for them. My problem is that I hate to let go of my Toro 44" Hydro and since Im still small I cant see having both. But if the Dane will benefit me more by going faster, and giving me a quality cut, and also taking up less room on the trailor then great. So if there are any of you out there that can pass on the good and the bad that would be great.

Thanks, Brian
    Apalachee Landscaping
    Atlanta, Ga