1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

would all pulleys have to be the same

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by etap, Mar 13, 2013.

1. etap

etap LawnSite Member

I have a zero turn,and i had to replace the center pulley,because i bent the pulley taking off blade. It was 4.75 and i replaced with 5 inch but the two pulleys outside are 4.75. Thx

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

If the belt works...should be ok...though the center blade will spin a tad slower..
    Might be an issue in thick grass..

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Ya beat me to the gravy, Slapper--I was doing a bit of figgerin with my sharp pencil.

I just picked out a Toro Z 60' that just claims a blade tip speed of 18,500 ft/min=222,000 in/min. Assuming a 20" blade, that yields a spindle speed of about 700rpm. Replacing the 4.75 diameter with a 5" pulley will reduce the spindle speed to about 630rpm or a blade tip speed 197820 in/min or 1648 ft/min. In other words, about a 10% loss of rpm/blade tip speed.

Like you say Slapper, it may be an issue in tall/thick grass(quality of cut) but it also may negatively effect deck clearing capabilities. How much of an effect, I can't predict.

4. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

I always go to the local industrial supply shop for my bearings and pulleys. much cheaper than what youll get at the mower shop and higher quality.