Lawn Care Forum banner

Would this tree be easy to remove

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ebone capone 
#1 ·
A guy asked if I could entirely take this tree out, but I really don't want to get involved with it if it's a huge project. I have no idea how far the roots of something like this would go.
Plant Branch Land lot Twig Grass

See less See more
#2 ·
It would be extremely rare and unheard of to literally take out the root system in its entirety. Generally the root system of a tree is the same size as the tree just Underground.

A more realistic approach and what the expectation probably is, is to remove the exposed Tree and enough of the root system so as to grow grass there.

If I were doing it I would dig a hole about 18 in in diameter and about 18 in deep. I would then cut off the tree and all the exposed roots as far down as I could with a Sawzall. Then fill the hole back in. Tamp the dirt down and add seed.

#7 ·
It depends. I sometimes pull trees of that size with my tractor, but I prefer to kill something that size before pulling. As Freaky said, a comealong is often an excellent means to pull something that size. You may need to be able to pull from multiple directions to break the root structure loose from the soil.

As an alternative that would be easier perhaps the client would be happy to have it cut off at ground level, and then you just mow over it. It may try to stay alive, but keep it mowed off for a year or two and it will be dead and decompose. If that results in a hole, add a little fill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.