1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Would would you bid!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Forest Hills, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Forest Hills

Forest Hills LawnSite Member

I was wondering how long approx. 20 commercial acres would take to mow (Some rolling hills/Flat area) I have an idea but don't want to under/over bid what the job is worth!
    I would be using a
    1-2 48in exmark walk behind
    1-60 inch. Laser
    Also can you give me what you would charge on this! There is not much edging, but trimming! This 20 acres is spread across 5 different lots, 3 are next to each other, & 2 are next to each other about 5 miles away! This company will probably be a little bit picker then other commercial accounts!

I will be paying 2 employees $9.00 each and myself the owner!
    Thanks in advance!

2. jester

jester LawnSite Member

With out looking at it I would have to say around $600.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i steer clear of large properties since you can't generate as much profit from them (generally speaking).

lets say you charged $60/acre, that's $1200/cut. I don't think anyone is going to pay over a grand to have 20 acres mowed every week unless they're EXTREMELY conscious of their property. I would bid it in the neighborhood of $1000-1500/cut depending on location and the clientel.

I wouldn't even be dissapointed if they laughed at me for my bid. I'd rather stay above $60/acre and do a little driving around than drop to $30/acre and spend the day.

4. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

20 acres...about $400

5. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

18 to 22 dollars per acrea

6. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

really, so if i was one of your customers with an acre you would charge me 20 bucks for the mow. where can i sign my contract with you. what do you charge for a house with 1/4 acre????:D

7. Lizard

Lizard LawnSite Member

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

In SE Iowa - My bid is $15 per acre x 20 = $300 + 5 unload fees @ $20 = $100 = $400 total. - With this mower I mow 6-7 acres per hr. which means that with travil time I would probably take 4.5 hrs to complete job = $89 per hr.
    [​IMG]

wide deck-ft. view-driveway-painted.jpg

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Brad,

How does that extra deck handle the more rough terrain of most large acre jobs.

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Tremendous - I adjusted my hydro so the tractor mows at 10 1/2 mph which is still too fast in august when it gets really dry and rough, but - I mowed all season last year with it, and absolutely no problems. It stood up to the rigors of 30 hrs per week with no problems. That is why I have not mentioned it too much. I wanted to R & D it first (Research and Developement)

When it is rough and dry and I have a lot of obstacles - 5 acres per hr.

When it is moist -(spring - fall) and I can go 10 1/2 - 7 acres per hr. even when having to trim around lines of equipment like in this pic.

[​IMG]

p0000746.jd mowed - south ditch-good.jpg