Would you exploit the fact?

Would you exploit the fact that you don't hire illegals and run backround and drug tests on all your employees? I have to hire a few guys this year and was thinking about doing it. Would you let your potential customers know that? Would you say you are a company with integrity and hire only workers that are supposed to be here and all are tested?

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
Would you exploit the fact that you don't hire illegals and run backround and drug tests on all your employees? I have to hire a few guys this year and was thinking about doing it. Would you let your potential customers know that? Would you say you are a company with integrity and hire only workers that are supposed to be here and all are tested?

All is fair in business and war I guess.....................I exploit the fact that I don't hire employees

ProcsLC

LawnSite Member
I don't know... I think it shows a lack of integrity actually, if someone included that in their sales pitch to me, I think I would be taken back a step and wondering why this guy is saying that and not just quoting me a job based on who they are and not who they are not.... I would skip it, and let potential customers know the more important stuff, show them your legit another way... Just my 2 cents.

coolluv

Banned

You can but it won't matter to maybe 1%. The rest could care less. Down here anyway, I used to tell them I'm insured blah blah blah..... you know what they cared about? You guessed it. Price. They know they are hiring illegals, they just don't care. Quality doesn't matter much either. There is a golf course community near me that the illegals came into and took most of everybody's accounts. There were 8-10 different LCO's in there now there are the illegals and maybe one or two other LCO's. You should see the work, bushes hacked,trimmings left in the beds, its a joke. These are $500,000 to $600,000 homes. 1/2 to 3/4 acre lots with tons of landscaping going for $30 per visit that includes taking care of all of the landscaping. And these are not flat lots. These are hilly sloping fenced in tons of trimming type lots. They leave scalp marks and blade patterns all over the place, cut it waaaay shorter than what it needs to be just so they can fly through it the next time they show up. Trimming and pruning landscape plants at the wrong time of year because they don't even bother to know what plants the customer has.

They fly through them so fast its not funny. You think the customers would be pissed right? Wrong. The price is right and its shorter than it was when they got there. The know a legit business can't compete with that, do they care? NAAAAAAAAAA

Dave.

OrganicsMaine

LawnSite Senior Member
I would have it in my literature, but I wouldn't necessarily use too much time when I am trying to sell the job. That said, you know your market, and your targeted customers, so if you think that would go far, then put it front and center!

OrganicsMaine

LawnSite Senior Member
You can but it won't matter to maybe 1%. The rest could care less. Down here anyway, I used to tell them I'm insured blah blah blah..... you know what they cared about? You guessed it. Price. They know they are hiring illegals, they just don't care. Quality doesn't matter much either. There is a golf course community near me that the illegals came into and took most of everybody's accounts. There were 8-10 different LCO's in there now there are the illegals and maybe one or two other LCO's. You should see the work, bushes hacked,trimmings left in the beds, its a joke. These are $500,000 to $600,000 homes. 1/2 to 3/4 acre lots with tons of landscaping going for $30 per visit that includes taking care of all of the landscaping. And these are not flat lots. These are hilly sloping fenced in tons of trimming type lots. They leave scalp marks and blade patterns all over the place, cut it waaaay shorter than what it needs to be just so they can fly through it the next time they show up. Trimming and pruning landscape plants at the wrong time of year because they don't even bother to know what plants the customer has.

They fly through them so fast its not funny. You think the customers would be pissed right? Wrong. The price is right and its shorter than it was when they got there. The know a legit business can't compete with that, do they care? NAAAAAAAAAA

Dave.

This example makes a strong case for having to be licensed and insured, and have to prove it. It may be a PITA to deal with more beaurocracy, but, it would definitely make it tougher for guys like that to jump in and ruin the market.

I am not a big fan of big brother looking over our shoulders, but if it means that I will be protected from that type of scenario, I am all for it!

coolluv

Banned
This example makes a strong case for having to be licensed and insured, and have to prove it. It may be a PITA to deal with more beaurocracy, but, it would definitely make it tougher for guys like that to jump in and ruin the market.

I am not a big fan of big brother looking over our shoulders, but if it means that I will be protected from that type of scenario, I am all for it!

This is a quote from another thread about the regs in long Island NY.

Quote:Actually to get a licesnse to operate an LCO in nassau county, long island you have to submit 5 yrs of W2's in your related field along with certificates of liability, workmans comp and $450 (with renewal fees every 2 yrs). Failure to do so results in a fine of $1500, and they have officers of the department out looking everyday. Second time (they make a point of checking up on people) they seize your vehicle and equipment, thats the norm not the extreme. After approval you have to aquire a permit from each incorporated village (I operate in 7) to conduct lawn maint. at an average of $75 to $125 End Quote.

I don't like big brother either but I would put up with it if it got rid of all the illegals,non legit hillbillies and the rest of the dumb@$$es. I say bring it on.

Dave...

OP
T

Total Grounds Maintenance

LawnSite Member

Dave.

Thats funny as we don't play those games here in Jersey. One of two things would have happened.

1. INS would have been called.
2. Or one of the local LCO's take a walk over there and tell them to leave or your calling the police, labor board and whover else it takes.

Top Forums