Would you feel comfortable buying a reconditioned Mantis 4 stroke tiller?

zanemoseley

LawnSite Member
I'm going to get some type of small tiller to keep my vegetable garden free of weeds this summer, not necessarily for tilling the entire thing. Amazon did have the 2 stroke Mantis for just over $250 but its since jumped up to $300. Then I found a seller on ebay that appears to sell LOTS of Mantis tillers, seems to be the only thing they sell, 4592 feedback @ 100%.

They have a bunch of reconditioned 4 stroke Mantis tilllers with the Honda motor. They say many are like new but I'm sure some have a bit of wear but are all fully refurbished, luck of the draw I guess. Seems to be a decent deal but was curious what you guys think, would be nice to save $80+ over a new 4 stroke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160722299698?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
I can't speak about 4-strokes. I have used a mantis 2-stroke and liked it a lot. But be aware that replacement tine's for those machine's are about $90.00

dwost

LawnSite Bronze Member
I believe that is the same guy where I purchased my 2 stroke from about 4 years ago. Haven't had a lick of problems with it. They are very handy little tillers.

OP
Z

zanemoseley

LawnSite Member
I can't speak about 4-strokes. I have used a mantis 2-stroke and liked it a lot. But be aware that replacement tine's for those machine's are about $90.00
Mantis tines are guaranteed for life. My father in law had a broken tine, just put it in a box with his return info and they sent him a new one with no questions asked. Even if tines aren't guaranteed for life on the refurbs I wouldn't think it'd be questioned but I could be wrong.

Capemay Eagle

LawnSite Bronze Member
I am really one for buying new equipment just to try and avoid problems, but in this case, I would buy it! If that is a Honda four stroke, it should be fine. If it was a refurb, most likely not the engine!

avguy

LawnSite Senior Member
Zane I bought the 2 stroke (new) a couple years ago. I don't remember now why but I intentionally avoided the 4 stroke. I'd call a Mantis dealer and ask them what they recommend to see if they have any input on the 4. Powell Power sells them over here. I will say the 2 stroke is a beast.

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
The charm of the Mantis is - Speed... 4 stroke Honda is not a manis motor and the speed isn't likely to be adequate to do the job it was designed for...
Once you've used a properly functioning, 2 stroke, Mantis, you'll understand the difference... :)