Would you? Have you?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, Oct 4, 2012.

  1. Dirt Boy

    Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 496

    Potential job, want to irrigate a strip about 75' long right by their house. This is the only "yard" they have.
    Only water source is an outside faucet.
    faucet plumbing is in a finished wall, no other realistic way of getting water to this area.
    What would you do?

    photo 5.jpg
  2. easy-lift guy

    easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,372

    Depending on the turf type and the amount of sunlight needed for growth it is hard to give you an answer.
    easy-lift guy
  3. Dirt Boy

    Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 496

    I can handle the grass, and all that, question I have is in regard to the water supply.
    1. Can't install a PVB without tearing up a portion of an inside wall.
    2. Comes out right by the disconnect for the AC.
    3. Not viable to get, or connect to, water anywhere else.
  4. easy-lift guy

    easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,372

    I have seen do it yourself kits at the box stores for small areas of garden or turf to be irrigated from a tap source. Maybe give them a try?
    easy-lift guy
  5. txirrigation

    txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 977

    I have seen some DIY jobs that use the faucet, and the reason I see them is because we are there to completely re-do the system after a new home owner moves into the house.

    I also see a lot of pool companies tapping into the faucet and installing AVB's to use it as the pool auto-fill. This is mainly because recent regulation changes prohibit pool companies from using the irrigation system as a auto fill source.

    I would not expect any more than 3-5 gpm (depending on pressure) out of a faucet. Also- If they have a water softener and the faucet is in the "loop" they will be re-filling salt on a weekly basis.

    There are a lot of negatives, why can't you tap into the supply before it gets to the house?
  6. Dirt Boy

    Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 496

    I'll try to explain,
    This was a cabin, added on, etc. but the water comes into what is now a pit inside the house, probably 12'-15' inside the house.
    Where a person would have to bore, also has other utilities coming into the house right there as well.
    Sidewalk on outside of house where you would come out, if you did that, and then you would have to put an underground back flow in.
    All in all, ton of work for a small area, HO's wouldn't go for it.
  7. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,752

    It is possible to source a small system from a faucet. Some faucets are capable of sourcing an entire yard of a quarter acre or more. You need a good reason to avoid doing the interior plumbing.
  8. lawns Etc

    lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,277

    I've done it. Used a 3/4 rubber hose to feed my pvb then added a faucet for them to use on my 1" PVC worked well.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. ArTurf

    ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark
    Messages: 4,471

    75' x what? Pics or drawings needed.
  10. Mdirrigation

    Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,793

    Cut the drywall , and repair it , you will get more flow from a 1/2 line than thru a hose spicot

Share This Page