Lawn Care Forum banner

Would lenghts would you go to retain a super paying cilent

Would you kiss

3K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  bobbygedd 
#1 ·
What lengths would you go to keep your best client’s happy? For instance, would you take more from a super rich estate owner to keep the account? Would you take BS from a purchasing manager or property manager of commercial account that pays in stratosphere? Would kiss ass to keep a super paying PITA client that otherwise you would tell a lesser paying account, to jump into the lake of fire?

#4 ·
nah, I'm a bit funny about running things my way, I don't negotiate, I don't give freebies, I don't kiss up.....too old and cranky for that crap these days, it's my way or no way, yes I miss a lot of jobs because of this, but the ones I get are very good. gotta be selective, gotta know you are in control.

#6 ·
Better paying clients are paying for better service.........sometimes that just means dealing with some annoying attributes. It's ALL about SERVICE, after all I believe it's pretty well established that there is a bit of competition out there.
If you're not willing to deal with a clients complaints, which more often than not are quite simply and easily accomodated then someone else certainly will, and most likely for a lesser fee.

#7 ·
A little bit goes a long ways......A lot is just downright sickening

#9 ·
olderthandirt said:
I think you should do what a customer wants. thats what you get paid for and if you don't they will give you a bad reputation and you won't get any of the neighbors grass to cut. Thats how you become successful and you will make 20-25k a yr
MAC,

I think this is the most profound post; my eyes have ever witnessed you post. Have you now acquired the aspiration of Mow-Joe lol .

#11 ·
I don't need to kiss butt...I got the Mow-Joe Mojo workin' :D

#12 ·
6'7 330 said:
MAC,

I think this is the most profound post; my eyes have ever witnessed you post. Have you now acquired the aspiration of Mow-Joe lol .
Bill I did the math and I've been wrong, 20 k a yr for 25 yrs and I've made 1/2 of a million $$$ not shabby. payup payup and I can't make that kinda money by pizzing my customers off. Of course I have not figured in all the cost like gas and oil but if I can get a few more neighbors each yr that will make up for what it cost for gas and oil :waving:

#13 ·
olderthandirt said:
Bill I did the math and I've been wrong, 20 k a yr for 25 yrs and I've made 1/2 of a million $$$ not shabby. payup payup and I can't make that kinda money by pizzing my customers off. Of course I have not figured in all the cost like gas and oil but if I can get a few more neighbors each yr that will make up for what it cost for gas and oil :waving:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#14 ·
It depends on the tone of the customers voice, if someone is being insulting or disrespectful-they are no longer a customer. I don't consider being polite and friendly to customers-kissing butt. Anyone can show up to a property and mow,trim,blow-off the sidewalks and leave. I think taking the extra time to at least listen to what the customer has to say, if we charge enough for the account in the first place-is fair.

#16 ·
olderthandirt said:
I was not aware that there was that kind of money in this work. WOW

Would a little French kissing help???:p

#17 ·
Of course there's a cut-off point.I had a customer good for 5-10k a year. Dog pooh, kids toys, lawn decorations every holiday, too much water, etc. The final straw was the husband canceling my turf apps to go with someone else, yes I did a good job. He wanted a fert. freak. I bagged their 3/4 acre yard. I told them no more bagging by me. Oh well.

#18 ·
I go out of my way for the Customers who always pay, give me full reign of whats being done as far as lawn care and maintenance. I go the extra step for my customers like this because they understand what it takes to do the job right.

#19 ·
As long as the clients remain professional/respectful no problem. We don't tolerate abusive or disrespectful behavior from clients. The key is to charge enough payup so when they are unhappy or just demanding, financially it just dose'nt matter because there is enough $$$ in the bid to cover the added grief/expense. Most clients that are demanding know they are and will tell you up front. They don't want to be changing services and breaking in a new guy any more than you want to be changing your schedule around. It's a niche market.

#20 ·
olderthandirt said:
I think you should do what a customer wants. thats what you get paid for and if you don't they will give you a bad reputation and you won't get any of the neighbors grass to cut. Thats how you become successful and you will make 20-25k a yr
20-25k per year your kidding right? LOL I guess some scrubs and lowballers would take that and be happy with it.

#21 ·
O.K., now here's a question.............

Please explain what exactly makes a customer a P.I.T.A.?

I love to read all of these posts all the time from people saying they don't deal with customer complaints, they just send them out..........uhuh...............there wouldn't be any customers on the list.

SOOooo, what makes for a P.I.T.A. customer.........really, I'm interested in the response.

#22 ·
dvmcmrhp52 said:
O.K., now here's a question.............

Please explain what exactly makes a customer a P.I.T.A.?

I love to read all of these posts all the time from people saying they don't deal with customer complaints, they just send them out..........uhuh...............there wouldn't be any customers on the list.

SOOooo, what makes for a P.I.T.A. customer.........really, I'm interested in the response.
Say you have someone who pays monthly for property maintenance. Lawn, shrubs, weeds, ect. Always pay but always late, then complain that you didnt do the shrubs or the weeds. Pay on time, and i will. Thats a pita. I wouldnt kiss anything for any residential customer, they arent worth it. Some commercial are, but thats about it.

#23 ·
lawnman_scott said:
Say you have someone who pays monthly for property maintenance. Lawn, shrubs, weeds, ect. Always pay but always late, then complain that you didnt do the shrubs or the weeds. Pay on time, and i will. Thats a pita. I wouldnt kiss anything for any residential customer, they arent worth it. Some commercial are, but thats about it.
O.K., explain late (how late)...........
So they complain about nonsense.........was the work done? did they pay for it?

(Residentials are much more worth it in our area than commercials.)

I'm really trying to understand how some folks even run a business, considering they seem to have no tolerance for people, and no, I'm not trying to bust stones here.

#25 ·
dvmcmrhp52 said:
O.K., explain late (how late)...........
So they complain about nonsense.........was the work done? did they pay for it?

(Residentials are much more worth it in our area than commercials.)

I'm really trying to understand how some folks even run a business, considering they seem to have no tolerance for people, and no, I'm not trying to bust stones here.
2 weeks maybe. I dont need it from residentials. Different things work in different areas, I dont have a shortage of residentials, so it works for me. And, no the work wasnt done. When it gets busy who gets the better service the guy who pays the bill as soon as he gets it and never says a word, or the one who pays late and complains?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.