Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I Was Mowing Today And A Bolt Fell Off A Roller On The Deck Today And Shot Out Off The Blades And Hit A Windshield 50 Yards Away On A Bread Truck. No One Was In The Way Of It But It Hit The Windshield Like 6 Feet Off The Ground And Broke It. If That Bolt Were To Hit Someone They Would Have Died. I Am Going Out Now To Put Thread Lock On My Bolts Now So This Does Not Happen Again. I Would Tell Any Of You To Check To Make Sure They Are Tight Cause This Thing Flew Farrrrrrr. And Thank God No One Got Hit By It.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's a scary thing...

We've had a couple incidents similar but nothing that hectic. Mowers are definetly very dangerous machines to work with and to be around when the blades are running.

I've personally shot pinecones upwards of 40-50 ft so I can only imagine how far a bolt would fly, and the damage it could cause....

How much is the window going to cost you? And was the truck stationary or was the guy driving?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes you are lucky. I have had close calls like that before. I feel a little better now that I mulch but things still can fly out from underneath the deck. I hate this time of year because of small children. For what ever reason they like to come up and watch you cut grass. I am always having to run them off. Sometimes you have to be a little harsh with them so they get the point of leaving. I always shut the blades off when someone gets too close.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no truck was parked. and no one in it. and no bread in it either or they would have to throw the bread out. insurance will pay for the window. but yes that was something a 6 inch bolt flying like that. and i put locktite on all the blots there now to. hope that never happens again

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
hgaerations said:
That is my #1 fear with mowing-where do you get the locktite and what exactly does it do?
There are two kinds. One is for something you want to stay on, and one is for something you want to stay on forever and ever. Be sure to get the right one.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was mowing a park one day and hit a golf ball...wish I could drive like that...thing must have flown 300 yards out into a corn field...I thought the same thing glad one one is around...about then I hit another one..this one flew out close to the ground at about 100 mph...the grass was a bit deep and I had to watch real close , but I ended up pick up about 10 free golfballs that day...I also hit 3-4 more...glad it was a park with fields around it and no one around at 6 am...still cant believe someone was using it as a driving range and not gathering up there balls. I knew I was safe so it got kinda fun to hit one and see it fly lol

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi yes you can get locktite any auto zone or home depot. you want the blue stuff. that you can remove then but will keep bolts on way better. the red stuff you will need a impact to get the nuts and bolts off. so just buy the blue stuff. it is like $4.50 for i tiny bottle and all you need is a drop on the threads and tighten your bolts your good to go. i just did all mine tonight. i hit golf balls and tennis balls but i never seen a bolt fly like that wow....

·
Registered
242 Posts
For best results, be sure to remove all dirt and oil from both surfaces before application. I use contact cleaner, electric motor cleaner, alcohol or gasoline. Needs to be clean and very dry. Don't even touch the surfaces with your fingers after cleaning.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
GPDesign1 said:
milo,

Just out of curiousity... did you have the discharge chute on your mower or was it removed?

gp
thats a good question. I bolt a steel plate over my discharge on some rental props with alot of things that ould be easily run down and thrown. I do my best to avoid em but the plate just makes me feel so much safer with alot of cars and traffic and people near by. I know something could still be thrown but it seems to significantly reduce the chances. Will be going with an OCDC soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.