Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New member here, apologies if similar issue has been answered before.

I work for a small landscaping company, we’re one crew and our main big mower is a 48in wright stander x with a carbureted Kawasaki fx730v. I don’t have the serial number for it.

We encountered an issue today with the machine not starting. To give a little backstory on this machine, we’ve had it for 2 seasons now, and it’s been serviced regularly, however it’s had it’s fair share of issues, despite its relatively short life, some of them being electrical/starting related.

Towards the end of last year we had the positive terminal basically corrode and melt itself to the point where the terminal end had to be replaced. After that was fixed, at the start of this year. We had a similar, no crank no start. Battery had plenty of juice, we’d hear a click from the starter solenoid but no engagement of the starter, so we replaced it and it worked great again. That brings us to today.

Mower worked great yesterday, however today when we went to start it at the first job, again no crank no start. Started at the battery, 12.3v. Not fantastic but enough to crank. Started working through safety switches. To make a long story short, we ended up trying a new brake switch, PTO switch, ignition switch, and the fuse in the box under the . Also tried another battery for the heck of it and still same deal. Voltage at the starter with key on is the same as battery, 12.3. So at this point, I’m wondering if starter solenoid somehow went bad overnight. I’m truly at a loss as to what it could be. Anyone have ideas as to what I could be missing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid to see if the starter will engage independently?
Thanks for the reply Matt. I haven’t done that yet. Since this starter isn’t very old, we started with battery and then went switches so I didn’t mess around with the starter side of things too much today. Any idea on how I would do that on this mower? I’m mechanically inclined, but don’t have a ton of experience doing this sort of thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the reply Matt. I haven’t done that yet. Since this starter isn’t very old, we started with battery and then went switches so I didn’t mess around with the starter side of things too much today. Any idea on how I would do that on this mower? I’m mechanically inclined, but don’t have a ton of experience doing this sort of thing.
On the starter solenoid there should be a small wire pull that wire off and expose the metal tab you can then run a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to that tab or use a screwdriver and touch both the tab and the positive post on the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t think too many people were watching this one, but in case anyone comes across this in the future….here’s an update. Ended up swapping starters again, however as I was installing the new starter, found a green wire with no connector on it, coming off near where the positive terminal bolts to the starter. For giggles, installed everything minus the wire, still same, no crank no start. Looked on the old starter and on the bottom of the solenoid there’s a spade terminal, with the connector still on it. Crimped a new connector on that wire, plugged it into the bottom of the new starter and the thing starts right up. Funny thing is, this wire isn’t too long from factory, and seeing how it is now, I feel like it may break again at some point. If it does I’m gonna have to extend the harness for it to reach the terminal on the starter. Oh and spent $330 in new parts over a stupid wire 😂😂 Lesson learned on this one, pay a little more attention to the details. Thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts