Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wright mid-mount with a 52" deck and 23hp motor. I take care of foreclosures, so all my yards are typically tall. I was sold the mower with the impression that it would do ok. I have 40 hours on it now, and still very unhappy. You have to mow over everything 3 or 4 times to get it to cut anything over 6" tall. My craftsman mowers used to cut better than this (really.) We've tried 4 diff types of blades, spaced the blades down 1/2", nothing seems to help. Any body have similar problems? Any ideas? I tried a hustler with similar config (23hp 54") and it did much better. The mower does great for someone who does weekly cuts, but for me, it's just not doing well.

-Ryan

·
Registered
975 Posts
I sometimes have the same problem. The grass seems to lay down and not get cut. It only happens on certain properties. What I do is cut one way and then go across. (Checker pattern)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I have a Wright mid-mount with a 52" deck and 23hp motor. I take care of foreclosures, so all my yards are typically tall. I was sold the mower with the impression that it would do ok. I have 40 hours on it now, and still very unhappy. You have to mow over everything 3 or 4 times to get it to cut anything over 6" tall. My craftsman mowers used to cut better than this (really.) We've tried 4 diff types of blades, spaced the blades down 1/2", nothing seems to help. Any body have similar problems? Any ideas? I tried a hustler with similar config (23hp 54") and it did much better. The mower does great for someone who does weekly cuts, but for me, it's just not doing well.

-Ryan
You might try contacting Wright through this site. I have similar cut quality problems and they told me about a bold on front baffle that they said should eliminate poor cut quality and weak discharge. I haven't got them yet but it might be a solution for you. Good luck. Let me know if you try it and how it works.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Depending on what you are looking for when done but, having cut some foreclosures myself, i think I have an idea.

I routinely cut tall grass with my 52" 19hp stander. You may need to slow down a bit, But on most properties you should still be able to beat most other mowers timewise.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Look under your deck. If you don't have baffles on your deck you will need to get a baffle kit. If you are getting grass blowing out the front and landing on your lap you will also need the baffle kit. It will take care of your problem.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I never would have imagined buying a Wright stander for clean up. I have the 23hp 52" stander as we speak but it's more of a finish type mower/deck. No room for grass to stand up in front of the blade. I like the Wright but it isn't a bush hog type unit. You need an open deck with a huge discharge chute opening.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Sorry, I see you have a midmount not a stander but still not my first choice for clean up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think the standers cut very good either. They lay the grass down and if the lawn is tall at all you have to mow it multiple times. I think they make each yard take to long by having to mow them 2 or 3 times over and that it would be quicker and more efficient with even a walk behind. To me it seems like they lack blade speed. The only reason i say that is because they barely throw the grass compared to other commercial mowers. Even on small yards i notice that they lay the grass over badly, especially where there is a long skinny part of a yard and you dont really have the choice to cut it in a different direction each mowing. One good thing i guess though is they stripe well since the grass is layed down.

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
If you are going to cut large sections of heavy over growth... only a couple of ZTR's come to mind...

Scag w/ Velocity Plus cutter deck

Everride Warrior w/EverFlow deck

·
Registered
196 Posts
id say its under powered,im familiar with walkers being a manicuring tool...i think wrights are the same. its like towing a dump trailer with a honda minivan through a muddy trail???
oh and branches are scrathing the minivans paint and the incesed hick from deliverance is squealing as he chases you lol :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.