Wright ZK mower hydro issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tootall91, May 15, 2018.

1. Tootall91

Tootall91 LawnSite Member

2014 Wright ZK , I just bought it used with 130 hours, I got a really good deal on it but it needs a little work. It seems like the hydros aren’t holding at all. By that I mean, when I let go of the handles it coast like 5-10 feet before stopping. When I go to make sharp turns I have to pull back on the opposite handle to get it turning, otherwise the other tire just rolls along and doesn’t hold. It won’t hold on hills at all, I can probably push it pretty easy. Any thoughts? I’m new to these hydros, not sure if there’s adjustments and what not.

Also, the mower cuts pretty crappy. I’m going to level the deck and throw some high lift blades on it, hopefully that does the trick. Thanks for the help guys!

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Go to the Wright website and snag ya a copy of the owners manual, it should have most all the linkage adjustments ( have fun ) in it. It sounds like the RTN is outta whack, may have to reset it. More fun. Check all the linkage rods and ends and locknuts. Again, have fun.

3. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not an expert on ZK’s. You should post your model and serial number so others might be able to assist. You should have HydroGear pumps and wheel motors. Here is a link to the service manuals for the pumps/motors. You will have to find the tags to ensure which manual is for your pumps/motors.
    http://www.hydro-gear.com/service-and-repair-manuals/

4. Tootall91

It’s a 2014 wszk52FX850e.

I will look up the manual and start my search there.

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Platinum Member

Are all the safety components working on the machine? If it was too far out of wack usually they don't start. Might want to start small before going big.

6. Tootall91

It starts and runs motor seems strong. Just cut quality and hydros

7. Tootall91

So from what I’m understanding in the manual, the return to neutral function is for if the mower wants to creep forward or backwards when sitting on flat ground (as if the controls weren’t returning to the neutral position).

I don’t seem to be having that issue, my issue is that they don’t seem to be holding. Like if I park it on flat ground, I can push it pretty easy. If I’m going and let off the controls, I coast a decent amount before stopping. It won’t hold on a hill.

8. unkownfl

There is a safety system made up of mechanical switches or magnetic switches. All the handles have to be aligned for it to start. If this is operational and the mower tracks straight in forward and reverse with proper even tire pressure on a level surface, then it could be as simple as something hanging up the linkage or the return springs are not settled into the correct spots. It really could be a lot of things but as stated by another poster, I would have to agree, it is more like a linkage issue than actual hydraulic mechanisms.

9. unkownfl

It won't hold on a hill. It's in neutral at that point.

10. unkownfl