1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Writing off your vehicles for tax purposes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JimLewis, Oct 30, 2001.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Email doesn't appear as an option for you, Paul. But the answer is no. Currently we are a sole prop. But I plan on becoming a LLC or something like that very soon.

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Is the insurance on the truck a vehicle expense? I though it was. If so that is at least $1200/year which is 3750 miles plus repairs, tires. Maybe my opinion is biased considering my f250 blew a trans this year and has been a money pit ever since I got it.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

So what guys are writing off mileage? It doesn't seem like the way to go unless you have a cheap old truck that doesn't cost you much money to run. If you have a new truck on the other hand you have to put on a lot of miles before you break even. For instance: a $600/month truck payment + insurance will run you around $8200/year. That is 25625 miles at $0.32/mile. That is not even including gas. What are some of you guys putting on your truck for mileage each year. I have a small business and only put on about 10k each year.