WTR Tree Spade in AL

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by AWilsonCreativeServices, Oct 11, 2017.

1. AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Member

Just like the title indicates, I'd like to get my hands on a tree spade now and then. A tow-behind mind-size (45"ish) spade would be preferable. None of the rental stores around the state have one, and most folks I talk to seem to be unfamiliar with a tree spade to begin with. I have been toying with the idea of buying a used spade, but I don't have the volume of work to support one, and I am needing to cut back on buying "toys". Anyone have any info or help? Thanks

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Call big John and see if they have an client in your area. Most guys who own are not going to rent them out but you could sub the project out.

3. AWilsonCreativeServices

BrandonV-

Thanks for your speedy and helpful comment ( I think you even made this suggestion last time I posed a version of this question).

My problem is this- I know the (very high) cost of a tree spade, and I know that any decent operator will want some decent $$$ for running one by the tree or by the hour/day. I run into potential jobs now and then where a client could benefit from moving one smaller tree (usually 4" or less) across their property to a better location. I am also going to go look at a client's farm house next week (a contractor friend that I trade work with), and there is a possibility we might want to dig some younger native hardwoods and cedars from the back of his property and move them up to around the house. For both these situations, I don't think it would be cost-effective to hire someone else, as I think the nearest outfit I'm aware of is an hour away. I will call Big John and some of the other spade manufacturers to see who's around, though. I am also beginning to think I could drum up enough work to pay for a tow-behind unit...

4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What about trying a dingo or small machine?

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Rule of thumb is that you want about 10 inches of soil per caliper inch of tree. The big thing with renting a tree spade is no one is going to want an unexperienced operator running in their machine. The blades are crazy expensive and there is a lot you can tear up. Do you have a skid steer? Maybe just get one for that vs a trailer mount. I’m in clay soil and the trailer units don’t cut it here. If you’re sandy you may have better luck.

hort101 likes this.
  6. AWilsonCreativeServices

@ hotr101- I have a dingo, and would love a mini-skid spade, but doubt they're good for much more than shrubs and 1" or less trees. I actually passed on bidding on one last year, and it went real cheap and I have been kicking myself ever since then.

BrandonV- google shows me that equipment rental houses will rent tow-behind units, but that's mostly up north, which doesn't help me lol. I don't have a skid-steer, and do not foresee myself getting one for a few years unless something changes with my current work scope. I currently need a mini-ex much more than I need a full-sized skid. I too am in pretty good clay, so hearing that a trailer-mount unit won't cut the mustard is good to know.

FYI I started a thread in the "Nurseries and Growers" Board this morning- have been kicking around the possibility of a small tree farm in the next few years. Tree spade selection would be directly affected by this decision.

hort101 likes this.