X Blades not cutting well

spitfire3416

LawnSite Senior Member
I decided to put x blades on my scag v-ride to reduce the clippings last month and it's been a headache ever since. We're noticing that there seems to be a lot of resistance when the blades are engaged. Almost like the spindles are rubbing on something and causing them not to spin as fast. You can feel it in the mower too. It just feels rough when you're cutting. Lots of vibration in the deck. As a result theres a lot of grass sticking up after the first pass. We have to cut everything twice. When they put them on the owner of the shop advised us to using straight blades on the bottom and gator blades on the top. I'm almost wondering now if there is a balance issue there. Are the straight blades lighter than the gators? They've had multiple mechanics look at it. They had there service rep look at it. Nobody can come up with an answer. I may just have to take these things off and go back to the single blades.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
What HP is your machine. I tried doubles on my 23hp Hustler. Lasted 1 day. Felt like it was going to shake apart.

Maybe your machine just doesn't like them. I'm running a new TC2 now with 26hp Kawa EFI. I run gators on left and center, and hi lift on discharge. I'm pretty happy with it.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Then take them off. Did you precision balance them? Creating too much air flow can force the grass down causing cut quality issues. Of course there's more resistance, you're spinning twice as much weight.

OP
S

spitfire3416

LawnSite Senior Member
Then take them off. Did you precision balance them? Creating too much air flow can force the grass down causing cut quality issues. Of course there's more resistance, you're spinning twice as much weight.

they said they balanced them yes. i'm taking them off tomorrow. i'm just discouraged because i have some lawns that are still growing fast and i can't stand cutting them multiple times to reduce the clippings. i like the way they mulch the clippings but i have to end up cutting them twice anyway to get and even cut. what is the solution to reducing the air flow and resistance? I don't understand how other guys run them but it doesn't work for me.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
they said they balanced them yes. i'm taking them off tomorrow. i'm just discouraged because i have some lawns that are still growing fast and i can't stand cutting them multiple times to reduce the clippings. i like the way they mulch the clippings but i have to end up cutting them twice anyway to get and even cut. what is the solution to reducing the air flow and resistance? I don't understand how other guys run them but it doesn't work for me.
If they use a cheapy cone balancer that probably not good enough. You can get some weird air flows running double blades. When I ran doubles on my Lazer I ran lift lifts aling with Gators and balanced them with a Magna-Matic precision balancer. These days I run either high lifts or high lift Gators (G5s).

Top Forums