Lawn Care Forum banner

X-Factor Deck QOC?

74K views 233 replies 23 participants last post by  Nick52 
#1 ·
Seriously considering a Gravely 460 and I did demo one on dry flat ground and it seemed to do pretty well in the 30 min. I drove it. I like about everything else about the machine. Just wondered if anyone is using this deck in northern grasses and how they're doing?

#6 · (Edited)
The X-Factor leaves a VERY good smooth cut in northern turf. You will be hard pressed to find a deck that cuts northern turf better than an X-Factor. The 7 Iron is another that is simply incredible in northern turf and the 7 iron does discharge better.

This is right after over an inch of rain. The grass was very wet.

Reactions: The Swamp Fox
#8 ·
We bought 2 460 with the 29 efi this spring. We are running them side by side with Scag cheetahs in mostly fescue and blue grass. So far the guys fight over who runs the 460's. In most conditions the cut is a little better than the scag.
MP, do you feel the EFIs have enough power for the 460's? Could they bag and do hills? I am planning to go with the FX921V (31 hp biggest gasser they offer) due to a lack of power I've found with a 28 EFI on my 66" Hustler Super Z. The EFIs been great other then no hp. and I would love to get the gph.

#9 ·
I think that the 29 efi is a little short on power for bagging. They run very similar to the FX850v. Enough power for cutting but not bagging.

MP, do you feel the EFIs have enough power for the 460's? Could they bag and do hills? I am planning to go with the FX921V (31 hp biggest gasser they offer) due to a lack of power I've found with a 28 EFI on my 66" Hustler Super Z. The EFIs been great other then no hp. and I would love to get the gph.

#10 ·
I think that the 29 efi is a little short on power for bagging. They run very similar to the FX850v. Enough power for cutting but not bagging.
Thanks MW. Was thinking about the same even though the Gravely would have smaller pumps on it then the Hustler. My first would be the FX921V and then I may consider an EFI on the second or third ZTR. That way I'd have the best of both worlds. Of course by the time I can buy the second and a third they maybe running on bubbles (EBI) or grass clippings (EGI).;)

#13 ·
That look spretty nice. How much do you figure you were taking off there, 3" or so?

Do you go back and forth from bagging, or are you done bagging until fall? I'm asking because it seems that the traction would be better (especially on wet grass) if the front weights were taken off until needed again.

#14 ·
That look spretty nice. How much do you figure you were taking off there, 3" or so?

Do you go back and forth from bagging, or are you done bagging until fall? I'm asking because it seems that the traction would be better (especially on wet grass) if the front weights were taken off until needed again.
Thanks..I have been very impressed so far with the QOC in wet conditions.
I would say I took a good 2" off that lawn at least. I switch back and forth with the bagger. No traction problems yet! Probably should take off the weights but I'm being lazy:sleeping::sleeping:

#18 ·
I have a question for the x-factor deck veterans. Where are your anti-scalp wheels set? Mine are on the bottom holes and in super thick grass I can see lines from them. I know im anal. Just wondering if I raise them if this will be cured?
Posted via Mobile Device
I have never actually looked. My suggestion would be to set the 2 middle rollers to the middle position and see if that clears it up.

#21 ·
Haven't installed my bagger yet and probably won't till this fall but I did pull the instructions out and found that they recommend removing that baffle when the bagger is installed. I'm guessing it's used to produce turbulence need and to separate a portion of the clippings that are exiting the chute for better dispersal. I could be all wet though. Maybe someone from Gravely could chime in. PSC also wondered if the mufflers were SS.

#22 ·
Another question. There is a small baffel on the right side of the discharge opening. Does anyone know what it does? It looks like its removable as only two bolts hold it on?
Posted via Mobile Device
The purpose of this baffle is to help dispense the grass when side discharging.

Thanks.

#23 ·
Haven't installed my bagger yet and probably won't till this fall but I did pull the instructions out and found that they recommend removing that baffle when the bagger is installed. I'm guessing it's used to produce turbulence need and to separate a portion of the clippings that are exiting the chute for better dispersal. I could be all wet though. Maybe someone from Gravely could chime in. PSC also wondered if the mufflers were SS.
mtmower - You are correct in your thinking, and the baffle needs to be removed to install the boot.

PSC - The mufflers on the Pro-Turn 400 are not stainless steel.

#24 ·
mtmower - You are correct in your thinking, and the baffle needs to be removed to install the boot.

PSC - The mufflers on the Pro-Turn 400 are not stainless steel.
If the muffler is not stainless could you tell us what it is? Is it galvanized or just regular mild steel? If its regular steel then I am going to paint mine with high temp header paint to help protect it from the elements. I was kind of surprised it didnt seem to have any coating on it that's what made me think it was stainless.

#25 ·
Gravely,

Thanks for the response. I think it's awesome for a company to have a rep on line here to answer questions and help out. Above and beyond!:)

I do have a question. I have approx 7 hr. on my 460 and just today noticed stragglers every so often in no apparent pattern in my very wispy fescue type grass and even a few here and there in blue grass. Almost like I'm lacking vacuum to stand it up. It will be like one or two separate blades of grass every 5 feet or so in no apparent pattern. Made sure the bottom of the deck was clean and blades still look good. Do you offer different blades as optional? Maybe a higher lift? I need to purchase a second back up set of blades anyway.

#26 ·
Gravely,

Thanks for the response. I think it's awesome for a company to have a rep on line here to answer questions and help out. Above and beyond!:)

I do have a question. I have approx 7 hr. on my 460 and just today noticed stragglers every so often in no apparent pattern in my very wispy fescue type grass and even a few here and there in blue grass. Almost like I'm lacking vacuum to stand it up. It will be like one or two separate blades of grass every 5 feet or so in no apparent pattern. Made sure the bottom of the deck was clean and blades still look good. Do you offer different blades as optional? Maybe a higher lift? I need to purchase a second back up set of blades anyway.
I have found the x-factor deck likes razor sharp blades. That being said the only stringers I have had were in fine fescue at fast speeds. When I slowed down a bit it was cured. When I put fresh blades on I was able to mow at top speeds again in fine fescue. In all other northern grasses I have not had any stringers.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.