1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

XT5 Aerator from Turfco

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

There is a way to make sharp 90° Turns with a Plugr. I'll have to post a video on YouTube sometime on how to do it. Plugr 850HD is faster and more productive than the Lawn Solutions 21. But the LS21 can pull deeper plugs but only....with the full "Old School" weight kit. All 3 slots in the back and the front weight up front.
    :waving:
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

Looking to purchase this unit and wondering if anything new I should consider?

Thanks,
    Ryan

3. MachineGrn

MachineGrn LawnSite Member
    from CS, CO

I have owned an XT5 for almost 4 years. Bought it brand new, never had a problem until a few days ago. While doing a back yard, the machine lost power and the trans started to make a grinding noise. We called turfco, and a new trans is $740 plus shipping. Not real happy about the news. We are calling Hrydogear to see if we can trouble shoot, but seems like trans is gone. Anyone else have this problem? Also, I am disappointed that after only 4 years(mild use, still have original set of tines) I need to pay almost a grand(with labor) to keep it running. I was just about to buy a second XT5, not too sure now. Turfco did not offer up any help except to sell me a trans or give me hydrogears number.

4. MachineGrn

from CS, CO

After a phone call from Turfco, I have a transmission on the way. They were able to reduce the cost of the trans down to $590, which is a nice price break. I am not sure why it failed, this machine has never once had a problem. I wish I still had my old back up equipment, but Colorado's largest forest fire took all that 3 years ago. Plus, I can not imagine going back to an old style aerator(bluebird) after running the XT5 for 4 years. Guess it leaves me with more time to power rake, everyone knows how much fun that is..... :)

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have the failed transmission examined to see if the cause of failure can be determined.

MachineGrn likes this.
  6. MachineGrn

from CS, CO

I ordered the new transmission from Turfco Monday morning at 8am. I asked to have it sent 1 or 2 day. I told them to just send it 2 day if it was around $100. If it is over, call me(right back) so I can decide. I was told I would get an email also with the tracking. Well, I never got a call back so I called at 1:30pm. I was told they shipped it already. It would be to me by Thurs. (maybe weds) I did not complain because it was only one day.

Thursday afternoon, no UPS. I call Turfco and after 15 minutes on hold and talking with a few different people, THEY NEVER SHIPPED IT! Yeap, I waited all day for a package that wasn't coming. Turns out when I called the second time on Monday I could have had it shipped two days but was told it had already shipped. It will not be here until next week. I have to wait around again for a package that may or may not show up.

I get to call my customers for a third time and reschedule. No fun and another week of lost wages because Turfco forgot to ship my parts. I have called Turfco twice today, but no call back. This adds a full week to lost wages. Not good when the season is 1/3 over.

I love this aerator, it is a pleasure compared to others, but the customer service and shipping is not up to par. I should have known when I ordered it 4 years ago and it was shipped to someone else's address. I called Turfco back then and they were no help. I was told to call the shipper. After a day on the phone with the shipper, I ended up having to pick the crate up 25 miles away at the wrong address. It was just sitting on the loading dock. Turfco offered no help then, same as this time.

If you are seriously considering a Turfco product, you need to be aware that getting parts and help is difficult. You better have spare machine ready to go because if your Turfco machine goes down, good luck getting parts/help. It's too bad because I really like the machine, but I also hate having people waste my time and money when they can not do their job.

7. MachineGrn

from CS, CO

I just tried to contact TurfcoSteve from this site but his email is no longer working.....
    Does anyone have a good customer service contact for Turfco? I was suppose to get a call this morning from Patrick, but never got one. I called him twice this afternoon before closing and left a message and spoke with someone who assured me Patrick would call me. But, no call.
    Thanks

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Is renting an aerator an option until yours is up and running again?

9. MachineGrn

from CS, CO

It probably is, but I was was told I am just a few days away from running again. Running a rental on our small yet steep yards are rough. If I knew I was gonna be down for 2 weeks, I would have bought something. I have checked on 5-6 used machines, but they were all garbage and expensive. Most looked and sounded like they were gonna fall apart. I am looking at a used Plugr 600 tomorrow. Still, I have to spend money because of someone else's mistakes. I just tried to reschedule a neighborhood of 5 homes, they decided to have someone else do the job.

10. MachineGrn

from CS, CO

Well, Turfco called today. They had me speak with a few different people. Told me they were sorry for all the mistakes they made. They admitted they screwed up big time. Offered me $50 off the shipping. Not at all happy they wasted a week of my time with shipping errors and not calling when they said they would call. They admitted it was their fault they said $50 was fair considering they gave me a break on the failed transmission(which was because it fail so soon not for screwing up shipping for a week). I really think this is the best and easiest aerator out there but I will never buy anything from a company that can not send out parts on time and to the correct address. I have lost a dozen customers(yearly mows) because of the delays and all the rescheduling and rescheduling. It is Turfco faults. It is too bad, they have a great product, just terrible service. If you are going to buy the Aerator, KEEP a good back up because Turfco can not ship on time or to correct address.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017