Yamaha MX 825 EFI viability

Raisedonadeere

LawnSite Member
Yamaha has been in the lawnmower business for 2 or 3 years now, and I still can find scant little information on how they are doing in the Bad Boy and Gravely mowers. I stopped by one Bad Boy dealer in Tennessee and she said she really likes it on her personal mower but hasn't sold many. The Gravely and Bad Boy dealers here in central KY don't seem to have much to say about the Yamaha's.

Here and there in the mower forums is see a posting about some what could be one of a kind problem.

After looking all over those sites and googling to no avail I just wonder if there are any dealers that have experienced that the Yamaha is a good thing in the works or if it is just another shooting star.

I am inclined to want one because of my experience over the years with outboard motors. I loved my Mercury's and was a bit of a snob about it and got to see Yamaha waltz right in and out do them. Yamaha had some nice outboards, and motorcycle engines.

It struck me to start watching the small engine repair forums to perhaps find some voices of experience. My biggest concern is to avoid picking up an orphan, for parts and service availability.

TripleT

LawnSite Member
Yamaha has been around for almost 70 years. They been making generator for almost 50 years. Would not be afraid of using them. As with most manufacturers they all have growing pains but a company like Yamaha probably minor.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Yamaha has been in the lawnmower business for 2 or 3 years now,

Actually, Yamaha has been in the small engine biz for 25 years or more. Back in the 90s I had to do a rebuild on a small Kohler on a WB. Right there in the block casting was Yamaha, right under it was Made in Japan.

So if you where running a Kohler in the late 80s/early 90s on a WB, it was made by Yamaha.....

Dflowe

LawnSite Member
I bought a Yamaha YT3600 mower back in 1990 and it was excellent for me and it's still running great for the current owner. It had the same basic engine that used in their gas golf carts today. Yamaha is a top notch brand with very capable engineers and I wouldn't be scared of any engine they build.

OP
R

Raisedonadeere

LawnSite Member
I understand what is being said. I just have been wondering how they are doin in getting established in the zero turn market. They could just decide the market is not there for this particular engine given it has already developed with Kohler, Kawasaki etc.

ChristmasLawnCare

LawnSite Member
Gravely 260

I’ve been running Gravely for over 10 years it’s looking like I will be switching brands.

I have the Yamaha efi 29 hp

It stays in the shop. All motor issues, all different things. Governor replaced multiple times, bigger oil pan installed, main seal leaking oil all over mower, new intake gaskets and sensor on the camshaft, reflash ECM. List goes on. Just picked mower back up and it’s still not right. Over the past 2 years it’s has been down over 100 days all during my busy time of year. My dealer wouldn’t even give me a back-up/loaner to use except once.

I’ve heard many others not having good experiences with the same motor. Couldn’t even really find parts for it unless I waited weeks for an oil filter. Even the mechanics told me to sell it. I’ve reached out to Gravely multiple times. They tried to help with a tech but ultimately didn’t do much. I was wanting to stay with Gravely but my dealer wouldn’t even offer me anything to trade in on it. Pretty bad when the whole dealership won’t stick behind a product they sell. I can understand a bad product get through every now and then. But I can’t forgive the way this situation has been handled from the dealer side, and the manufacture side. After how many problems when does the manufacturer step in to help? I couldn’t get an answer on that. I’ve also heard from multiple sources they won’t be offering the EFI version of Yamaha in the coming year. Wonder why. Warranty will be out soon and I will be selling. 777 hours on machine. Paid 12k for it and still owe a big chunk. Warranty has covered big costs but this machine has cost me more money then I even know. This is how I pay my bills and I can’t grow a business with the same equipment constantly down all while still making payments on it. Severely disappointed. I will be switching brands and changing out my whole fleet ASAP to a dealer that’s closer and more support.