• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Yamaha or Kawasaki

Popa

LawnSite Member
How has the Yamaha has been holding up? Would you purchase again or get a Kawasaki. If so why? I plan to purchase a Gravely Pro Turn 460 soon. I've looked at everything else and like the Gravely and dealer best by far.

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
Had great luck with my 26hp V twin liquid cooled Kawi but man....Yamaha has a great rep as an engine builder on things like motorcycles! Thinking the same would hold true on the mower engines. But, yet to be proven I guess.

Doc8406

LawnSite Fanatic
i believe that i will be buying a Scag with a blown motor on it.. wonder if i can put one of these new Yamaha V-Twin motors on it.

OP
P

Popa

LawnSite Member
Thanks guys for the responses. I was hoping to get more "real world" experiences. Anything on maintenance, efi etc.? I like the Yamaha but don't want it to end up like the recent Subaru small engine production ending. Just don't know how many Yamaha engines are out there after a little over 2 years of production . Thanks in advance.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks guys for the responses. I was hoping to get more "real world" experiences. Anything on maintenance, efi etc.? I like the Yamaha but don't want it to end up like the recent Subaru small engine production ending. Just don't know how many Yamaha engines are out there after a little over 2 years of production . Thanks in advance.
In my world Yamaha isn’t very popular as a snowmobile
Heavy
Trouble some
If you’re a gear head mechanic and like wrenching more than riding... you’re a Yamaha owner.
Out of the four sled brands (Polaris, arctic cat, skidoo and Yamaha) there are far less Yamaha sleds out in the snow in the last 15 years than any of the other three.

I wouldn’t buy anything Yamaha unless it had solid proven results

As far as I’m concerned
If you want to dig out and get towed out, Yamaha is your brand!

theltz81

LawnSite Member
In my world Yamaha isn’t very popular as a snowmobile
Heavy
Trouble some
If you’re a gear head mechanic and like wrenching more than riding... you’re a Yamaha owner.
Out of the four sled brands (Polaris, arctic cat, skidoo and Yamaha) there are far less Yamaha sleds out in the snow in the last 15 years than any of the other three.

I wouldn’t buy anything Yamaha unless it had solid proven results

As far as I’m concerned
If you want to dig out and get towed out, Yamaha is your brand!
Utterly untrue statement. Your delusional to compare Poolaris and arctic cat to Yamaha and say that Yamaha falls short to those two. Im not sure about your snow sled world but I have had Yamaha atv’s, dirtbikes, ect. all of my life and they have been nothing short of phenomenal. They are up there with Honda in my book as far as reliability and even compared to them I think Yamaha has an edge due to more variety and more to choose from.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Utterly untrue statement. Your delusional to compare Poolaris and arctic cat to Yamaha and say that Yamaha falls short to those two. Im not sure about your snow sled world but I have had Yamaha atv’s, dirtbikes, ect. all of my life and they have been nothing short of phenomenal. They are up there with Honda in my book as far as reliability and even compared to them I think Yamaha has an edge due to more variety and more to choose from.
So...youre from the south....dont ride sleds, know nothing about them yet my statement is untrue?

You're the delusional one.

I specifically stated "in my world" AND defined what world that was and its 100% true.

theltz81

LawnSite Member
So...youre from the south....dont ride sleds, know nothing about them yet my statement is untrue?

You're the delusional one.

I specifically stated "in my world" AND defined what world that was and its 100% true.
You bashed Yamaha as a brand at the end of your statement. Thats what I had a problem with. “Your” world is a tiny fraction of the Yamaha brand and even then I find it hard to believe that they would stamp their name on anything sub par.