Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I neglected my yard for 4 years, weed wacked maybe 5 times. Other than clearing the thousands of opium poppies.

total area is about 9000 sq and was never lawn, just out of control gardens with about 24" of a very loose garden soil.

I didn't want to lose the soil and excavation access was bad, I had the last 2 days free and basically hand turned 3/4 of the area about a foot deep and hand removed about 20 yards of morning glory root.

I will finish it up and then plan on just adding some sand and raking it out to seed. I don't need a nice lawn, but I literally can't walk through here in the summer - 4' tall jungle.

I realize I can't get all of the morning glory (white easy to trace roots right now) so I know it will always be a bit of a battle, but before I go ahead with level and seeding, does anyone have advice or ideas to prevent morning glory coming or discourage it for the future?

this is a before picture and then today
Plant Property Botany Wood Grass
Cloud Plant Sky Window Building

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mow it weekly the morning glory's will die out.
Keep over seeding with grass. You'll be amazed how quickly grass will start taking over.
I've literally run my mower through solid brush weekly and within 1 year had a semi decent lawn. Without seeding.
So maybe I don't need to finish flipped and pulling the last 1/4 section? Maybe just till and roll? I will be excited to have just something I can learn to mow on and not see a jungle everyday. Probably why my neighbour had major rodent issue in his newer house while my 1965 house with 5 cats had none

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It did feel good pulling all those vines though. Lost about 6 of those hedges the tallest ones out of the picture on the left, completely pulled down by the 4 feet snow we had

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
So maybe I don't need to finish flipped and pulling the last 1/4 section? Maybe just till and roll? I will be excited to have just something I can learn to mow on and not see a jungle everyday. Probably why my neighbour had major rodent issue in his newer house while my 1965 house with 5 cats had none
5 cats ? Really.
But that will explain why you have no rodents. For sure.
But yes, just keep mowing, grass will grow most everything else will die back. Then spray for typical weeds. You'll have a lawn.
Don't waste time pulling everything and tilling.
Remember... your mower is your friend.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had 15 cats at one point this summer. Had 1 and then had kittens, wife wanted to keep all 4. 5 female cats and the vet couldn't get them in for 4 months once we tried to book the spays. I would say its nearly impossible to keep that many females in heat inside that long when there is male cats coming to our windows and doors at night.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Mow-Daddy is right. Keep mowing it. But you need to get it smooth enough to mow and therefore smooth enough to form a lawn.
Canada--do you mean you cannot spray the morning glory and other weeds with Trimec or lawn weed products?
I agree, sow plenty of seed in the spring. A top-quality seed will help crowd out the weeds. A high ratio of Kentucky bluegrass will increase the density and the rhizomes will increase the creeping ability, thereby filling in thin spots. You need plenty of water plus a starter fertilizer to get your new grass off to a good start. Fall is best for seeding--about when temps fall below 75 F. (24 C), in August.
Spring seeding is still OK--but more weeds and crabgrass are typical.

·
Registered
821 Posts
riggle we can used round up here and I will use it
Will let everyone know how the morning glory control goes through the year

View attachment 488200 View attachment 488202
FYI... your'e talking about bindweed. I've been told that Speed zone does a good job at killing it, I will be trying it out this year and see how it goes. Just wanted to let you know, so people won't be confused as to the plants you are referring to.

Bindweed- Convolvulus (perennial)
Morning Glory- Ipomoea (annual)

Morning glory and Sweet potato are different species of the same plant, but the perennial bindweed is not. It's in the same family... that's why the similar look.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes that makes sense. The green vines coming up into my head were killed off very nicely with the roundup but the root systems underground are very established with the loose soil we have. I will just keep hitting it with sprays wherever I see it pop up and mow over it. Probably removed 75% of it to 12” deep which seemed like the sweet spot so hopefully slowed it down somewhat.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after I cleared my yards I let it sit for a week and have sprayed roundup 3 times on what came up so far.
I thought the white vines are bind weed like someone here said but the actual sprouts poking through the dirt seem to be like thistles, I also see a small amount of morning glory like leaves and vines but it's mostly these thistles which I keep spraying. Any ideas on what this is?

I'll get a close up tomorrow but anyway it's all seeded, 70 lbs for about 5000 square feet
Plant Tree Shrub Road surface Landscape

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Thistle.
Sorry.
We call it Canada thistle.
Tough weed with many deep creeping roots and rhizomes. Terrible when invading flower gardens and beds of shrubs.

You are on the right track. Keep it cut short. Hand remove a few of the biggest thistles. Sharp spines--wear gloves or use a string trimmer with metal blade.

Spot spray any persistent remainders. Remember thistle is likely all connected together by underground runners that can sprout later if the tops are removed or killed. Doesn't like short mowing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts