• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Yard sale score

meathead1134

LawnSite Senior Member
Today, I was on my way back from an open house and I noticed that this 1 particular place holds barn sales all of the time. I drove past it and turned around and went back to it. I never stop at these things, well I see numerous push mowers. I noticed that there was a self propelled lawn boy. The guy wanted $40.00 stating that it needs a tune up and an oil change and it dosen't run right. I though about it for a few minutes. I told the guy since it dosen't run, I'll give you $19.00 for it (its what I had for cash in hand) he ended up taking it no questions asked. I get it home primed it 2x and it fired on the first pull. I laughed it ran kind of rough. I then hit it with starter fluid and ran the thing for 5 minutes at it ran good.

1 x lawn boy self propelled mower $19.00
1 x air filter $5.00 tops
1 x spark plug $1.50
1 x quart of oil $3.00

Not having to spent $350.00 for a new self propelled mower dam priceless.:laugh: :laugh: :drinkup: :drinkup:

who else scored something else cheap?

RonB

LawnSite Senior Member
A few years ago I bought one of those el cheapo Homelite handheld blowers. It worked ok but started giving problems starting - so I just got a back pack ..

Anyway, about a month ago I stopped at a dumpster to toss the trash and laying on the ground was a Homelite blower, so thought I'd be able to get parts and make a good one from two.

Got home, primed it, pulled twice and it cranked and runs great. Works fine when I don't need the backpack.

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm trying to figure out where you put that quart of oil in a lawnboy mower.... Or was it one of the newer models with the 4 stroke on it?

Sounds like a heck of a score... Hell, I would have bought it too, even tho I have no use for it. I just like older lawnboy mowers.

Horsepower Lawns

LawnSite Member
Got this on E-Bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BUNTON-HYDRO-WA...7QQihZ011QQcategoryZ71272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New fuel filter, new gas & starting fluid and a few pulls. Runs fine, used it for 4 straight hours on Saturday with NO ploblems. Mows great even with the old blades on.
After I got it running I changed the air filter and oil & filter.

My dad has picked up some many push mower out of the trash I lost count. He would put in a new plug and gas and they would start right up.

LindblomRJ

LawnSite Silver Member
Got this on E-Bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BUNTON-HYDRO-WA...7QQihZ011QQcategoryZ71272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New fuel filter, new gas & starting fluid and a few pulls. Runs fine, used it for 4 straight hours on Saturday with NO ploblems. Mows great even with the old blades on.
After I got it running I changed the air filter and oil & filter.

My dad has picked up some many push mower out of the trash I lost count. He would put in a new plug and gas and they would start right up.
Nice score there. Last January I picked up a Toro Proline 32" for $350. It does a great job cutting. If a person can shop around a bit and has some knowledge of things mechanical or lucky, good equipment can be purchased on the cheap.:)

Mowman16

LawnSite Senior Member
Nice Ferris hydro WB for 300. (sorry stuffdeer)

causalitist

LawnSite Senior Member
heck ya, i got my toro gts 21" that way. $25, its 17 years old and works perfectly. runs wayyy better than the new toro personal pace i have.

the new mower is now backup because the 17 year old one is more reliable lol!