Yard Signs or Door Hangers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by SB Lawn Care LLC, Jan 12, 2019.

1. SB Lawn Care LLC

SB Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

I'm going into my third year in business. However, this is my first year licensed and insured. Currently I'm leaning towards putting out yard signs in popular areas in the neighborhoods that I'm in(honestly due to less walking door to door). I have about 30 clients all in 5 neighborhoods within 3 square miles. What is more likely to get me more maintenance accounts? Yard signs or Door hangers?

Thank you.

2. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

It really all depends on your area, marketing material, etc.

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of mixed responses from other members, but the best thing to do is try both methods out and see what works best.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  3. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta do both, name recognition. Both methods are low return

tdoeizreal likes this.
  4. SB Lawn Care LLC

Thank you guys. For door hangers should I be expecting around 2% return rate?

5. Greencuts518

Best case scenario, I've heard of less then 1% and in many cases. It all depends on your offer and your local market. I've never had great luck with either. I use next door and craigslist and things are building slowly but it's free and craigslist $5. I spent $1700 on direct mailers and it was not the best spent money as it was 2007, right before the recession

hort101 likes this.
  6. SB Lawn Care LLC

I have been using facebook and nextdoor too. Sometimes on Nextdoor I feel like I'm posting a little too much and don't want to make a bad name for myself by annoying everyone on there. I have tried craigslist a few times but got no return at all.

7. Greencuts518

I post twice a month for mowing during april -July ...once under personal name and once under business anymore then that and your asking for problems

8. Greencuts518

Never got a job off of Facebook and craigslist is spotty too. gave an estimate last year from craigslist that i turned down but it was $200@week mowing. so there's some good clients out there that use craigslist...the key is you need to be the most professional looking on Craigslist or offering to be the cheapest to get work. The middle of the road guys get overlooked

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

These days a 2 percent return rate is highly unlikely.
    If you have no competition, and your mailer or flyer is outstanding, truly excellent with wonderful color pictures--then you you will probably get 1 percent return--maybe.

Try to cloverleaf during your travels--Chemlawn had good results 25 years ago. At every spray stop--you drop a brochure at the neighbors on the left, right, and across the street.

I do not understand what you mean by "yard signs" . Probably prohibited in your town anyway.

Your marketing efforts should include a top-quality website, Craigs List, mailers, hand passing of flyers, and a referral awards plan. It is rather late to be making your plan. Printing takes a bit of time. Be sure to include some reason for the homeowner to save your brochure--and be happy to receive it. Include a calendar, gardening calendar, lawn care tips, 10 zinnia seeds--whatever you--or your brochure printing company, can think up.

In the final analysis, your success depends on excellent results on the lawns you do--and truly excellent customer service. The big companies want to eliminate you as competition. Start out every day with the goal of beating your main competition.

10. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I would also write all ur customers u have now and let them know u are taking on new clients this year if they have any family or friends looking for lawn service. Best advertisement word of mouth. Good luck to you