Lawn Care Forum banner

YBravo 25 with Kawasaki FJ180V

85K views 177 replies 34 participants last post by  danothemano 
#1 ·
Finally made the trip to check out the Ybravo 25 today with kaw. Dealer said he would sell me one for $1170 so I picked it up. Only had a chance to mow with it at 2 properties before the day was over. 1st one was a weekly poorly fertilized postage stamp yard that it made a lazer cut with and great stripes at 3.5 inches. 2nd was a property was a business that I maintain the front and side areas weekly and mow the back area once a month in transport mode. Had weeds foot or more tall. Has a big hill down to this area. The Ybravo destroyed that mess! Had leaves and bark that are falling from the stressed sycamore trees in areas also. First pass left some pop ups and 2nd pass made a great cut. Unreal suction and mulching capabilities in tall more dry than wet dry grass/weeds. Not a hint of a clump even in the first pass. Sucks up everything in sight. Came with a high lift blade and the dealer ordered me the gator blade. Wondering if the gator blade now is unnecessary, but I guess I will find out here soon. Going to hit a small yard tomorrow first thing that should be at least a little wet with dew. Later this week I will have a nice stretch of small yards first thing in the morning were it will get a good work out that are heavily fertilized and irrigated. I plan on trying to mulch them all with the high lift blade at 3.5" like today.

I think I am going to be very happy with this mower and my Toro TimeWaster will have a for sale sign on it at the curb sooner than later. Perfect amount of power for the Ybravo and excellent suction. If you can ever get your hands on one of these mowers you can tell some serious thought and care were put into them. Maybe now with the price point getting lower on them they will catch some traction. Sits great beside my 48inch deck on my standard width 78 inch trailer.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Mower

See less See more
#5 ·
They are from Houston, TX. I don't see them going away, honestly. I've seen a lot of guys in my area switch from Honda Commercials to these ybravo 21's and 25's. I'm thinking about selling my exmark 26 and getting a ybravo 25.

OP: what is the drive like on the ybravo 25? I HATE my exmark 26 drive. Is the ybravo a hydro or belt drive? Is it good? I know that the ybravo 25 weighs about 30# less than the exmark 26 which is a huge difference. I'm just wondering about that drive, though.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 · (Edited)
Kevlar belt, but this is what it says on the website about the tranny.

TRANSMISSION (PATENT PENDING)
The Bravo 25 is designed around our proprietary 2-speed heavy-duty transmission. The transmission is built tough with oversized gears, and with needle and ball bearings throughout. Additionally the "wheel ratchets" that are normally located at the wheels are incorporated inside the transmission to protect them from the rust and grime of everyday use.

http://www.ybravo.com/sfbg_B25_ajaxtabs/stronger/trans.jpg

All I can say it is truly commercial mower. It will climb a mountain and fast. You can adjust the bail plus the tranny has 2 speeds. Top gear gets away from me with the bail all the way down. Been feathering it a lot in top gear. Tight areas or curbs with obstacles low gear is PERFECT. Rolls so easy in neutral also on flat ground. Tight little courtyard area today that was like a little 4 by 12 odd shape I just used it in neutral and pushed it. Going to wait awhile before I start making any adjustments. Think I will get used to it in top speed.

As far as parts, I asked the same question from my dealer. He has like 2 of everything in stock. Guess Ybravo just came out with the gator blade so he didn't have that. He rattled off random prices on some things. Two I remember off the top of my head was $125 for the transmission and $30 some dollars for the bagger. Plus I think I get another 10% from him off those list prices. He is having Ybravo mail me the gator blade direct and I should have it by the end of the week. Very cheap IMO for parts that should last anyways. I sure hope they are around in 5-10yrs. Would be a shame if they weren't.

I was only able to use it at 5 places today. Would of been 6 but I got rained out. Most of my properties on this day don't require a small mower. No dew this morning on that first property, but pulled it out for a wide open curb area for my last stop when it started to rain on us. Usually hit it with the big mower. Was the perfect test. Crazy fertilized wet grass today were the Scag Velocity deck running gators side discharging at 3 3/4" cut was laying over clippings heavy and had to be blown off. The curb was beautiful, the bravo diced them at 3 1/2" to nothing in one pass with zero clumps. Was unreal! Hit some small twigs with it earlier in the day. Diced them to nothing also...lol. Makes quite the racket for a few seconds though. First time I did it I stopped, thought I broke something.

Can't express enough the suction and great cut it leaves. To say the least I am impressed. Been using Super Recylcers for years now and the Timemaster this year mostly. Demoed a Turfmaster for a few days in the spring and was not impressed. You will be faster by far with this mower than a 30. Unless you live in flat open areas with dry grass all the time. But you would think you would use a larger mower than 30 inches for those areas. Cuts down on trailer time for me also. Don't have to do the mower dance to get it down now and scrape the deck twice a day.

#7 ·
That mower says it's got 4.2 mph top speed and the 30s have a top speed of 4.3 mph, not that it's a noticeable difference.

How is the price on the 21s? I need a new 21 next year and wondering if this would be a good commercial mower since the Toros are $1400 up here with zone start.

I also haven't noticed any dealers in canada with this brand.

#8 ·
21-601 21"Deck, Kawasaki FJ180V, Zone Start Blade Control $999
21-503 21" Deck, Honda GXV160, Zone Start Blade Control $1269
21-102 21" Deck, Honda GXV160, Blade Brake Clutch $1349
21-201 21" Kawasaki FJ180V, Blade Brake Clutch Blade Control $1149

That's list price though.

Bravo will do 4mph up a hill while mowing grass. All kinds of terrain here. 30 would be lucky to do 2mph up a hill without the blades running.

#9 ·
What is the price of the 25 on the website? I didn't see any options of ordering directly from the site. No dealers around here.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
That's my dealers list price.

25-201 25" Deck, Kawasaki FJ180V, Blade Break Clutch Blade Control $1299 & $1499 for the Honda.

I called 2 other places and they only had the Honda's. One told me $1400 over the phone, other said $1500. Price I got just walking in there asking how much, doing limited business with this place for the Kaw was $1170. It sounded fair and I didn't bother to beat him up.

#11 ·
Thats great whats the history non this company? I know Ive seen threads about the mower. How hard is it to get parts? Will they be around in 5, 10 years?
That is what is stopping me from looking at this mower. There is a dealer in my area, but I haven't seen one in use around me.

#12 ·
Well they come with a 1yr commercial warranty and will refund you in full with a 15day guarantee for any reason. Either return it to the dealer or mail it back to them. Probably cost you $100 to UPS it back though. But they seem very easy to work on with quality parts at a very reasonable price. Although I would feel probably uneasy with no dealers around also. Well that would be before I got to put my hands on one.

#151 ·
Where did you find this info on the 15 day guarantee? I just bought one of these on the 17th and I'm kind of underwhelmed with my experience. I bought it for bagging, but the bag isn't sealed all the way around. Each of the corners has excess material and its just shooting grass all over the engine and onto the ground at the bottom corners. I called and spoke with Leif and he suggested I silicone the holes! After some reflection, I have the mindset that I shouldn't have to do anything to a mower I just spent 1K on... I think i have decided to just go back and get the Toro 22290 that I was eyeing. This Ybravo is a beast, but I need a bagger that bags super clean. Plus, the local parts support isn't there. I called to get some extra blade bolts, the shop doesn't carry any of the parts on hand...

#13 ·
I have one of the early production yBravo 25's with the Honda GXV160. It is more of a true 21" replacement than the Toro TimeMaster 30 is. In all honesty I use my TimeMaster more. Cut quality is better with the 30" ....however when forced to mow in wet conditions....nothing beats the Ybravo 25. There is some debate that the yBravo 21 is better in wet conditions...?

So....I'm a bit surprised to hear the OP say he's going to ditch the Toro...?
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
OP, that price for the trans is not bad. I've always run Honda Commercials, and my dad before me. We have had 6 over the years and the transmission has been the weak link. When it finally fails, it's around 350-400 to replace. Looking at it as a mower thats been used for x number of seasons, buying a transmission that costs 1/3 of the whole mower, we've always just bought a new mower.
$125 for a trasmission is not bad at all. You're making me want one of these more!!

#16 ·
There's a guy locally that says he is getting out of the LC business and has 5 of the 21" YBravos with Honda motors for sale for $375 each.

I don't know the guy, but if anyone wants a link the can PM me. I have no affiliation with the seller. Just saw the ad on the Dallas, TX CL.

#17 · (Edited)
Hey Rototilling didn't know if you were still around on Lawnsite. Read a lot of threads of yours on the bravo earlier this year. Was good reading and very informational. But my big unanswered question has always been how well it mulched wet grass. Never could find an answer on that. I try to never bag anything until fall. Couldn't imagine trying to bag leaves with the timemaster.

I just honestly can't understand how you could say the Timemaster leaves a better cut? I just can't stand stragglers and the timemaster suction is horrible. I have the Turfmaster high lift blades and the low lift blades. Neither work and I have upped the rpm's. Not sure what else to do to get a good cut. I also can tell the cut even gets worse as the day goes on when the deck starts to get build up. I will admit I think the Timemaster might stripe a little better on fertilized yards. But I wonder if it is just perception because of the smaller stripes. Think the bravo might stripe weedy yards better. Just hard to tell today sun never came out.

Used the bravo 7 times today. It literally rained for over 12 hrs+ from yesterday to the morning. Then lightly rained and misted on us all day long. The deck is sparkling clean at the end of the day. I was climbing mountains today with it that I usually just use the trimmer on. Not sure if it was easier, but was nice to test it on. Also got a new yard next door to another one I have. Husband had hip surgery and she has only been mowing the front yard. It is a fertilized very very thick beautiful yard. She claimed the back yard had only been let go 2 weeks, but looked more like 3 or more to me. 10 inch tall grass with a small gate to the back yard. About a 25 by 50' area soaking wet. 1st pass I was concerned. Looked horrible but no clumps. Second pass made it look pretty close to perfect. Only thing I doubled mowed today, but gained a customer for at least the rest of the season. Signed her up.

Maybe with the Timemaster we cut at different heights. I mow with it at either 3.25 or 3.75". We are over 10 inches above normal for rainfall this year and many days we still have dew on the ground at noon. Just tired of double mowing with it and still having clumps to clean up.

Only negatives for the bravo versus the timemaster I can come up with is the height adjustment and a few other things. Very stiff and have to adjust all four wheels instead of 2 points. Although in the 1st couple of weeks my wife snapped off the height adjustment playing with it in my own yard. Very cheap construction, don't see the bravo doing that and hopefully it loosens up some in the future. I prefer the personal pace in tight areas also over the bravo, but I think I need to get used to the bail maybe. Like the fold up handle for storage in my garage also. But all those things don't beat out the lack of power the Timemaster has and poor cut quality. Oh yea and the clumps and scraping the deck constantly!

Would of been a total nightmare using it today and wouldn't of made it into that back yard 3 feet even set at 4.25" before shutting off. Cost me a similar high mow job in the spring in a back yard with a small gate that I couldn't touch with it, that would of been a seasonal client. Trying to down size how many mowers I carry with me and think for my situation carrying two larger mowers and the bravo will be the answer for me.

Using the timemaster in only dry conditions is not an option for me and even in dry conditions i am not impressed with the cut. But the 30 inch stripes are nice to see in yards that used to be only be able to be cut with a 21. If you have any suggestions to help my timemaster out I would appreciate the info.

#19 ·
You have to wonder why dealers are not adding this to the other lines they sell.

#20 ·
Hey Rototilling didn't know if you were still around on Lawnsite. Read a lot of threads of yours on the bravo earlier this year. Was good reading and very informational. But my big unanswered question has always been how well it mulched wet grass. Never could find an answer on that. I try to never bag anything until fall. Couldn't imagine trying to bag leaves with the timemaster.

I just honestly can't understand how you could say the Timemaster leaves a better cut? I just can't stand stragglers and the timemaster suction is horrible. I have the Turfmaster high lift blades and the low lift blades. Neither work and I have upped the rpm's. Not sure what else to do to get a good cut. I also can tell the cut even gets worse as the day goes on when the deck starts to get build up. I will admit I think the Timemaster might stripe a little better on fertilized yards. But I wonder if it is just perception because of the smaller stripes. Think the bravo might stripe weedy yards better. Just hard to tell today sun never came out.

Used the bravo 7 times today. It literally rained for over 12 hrs+ from yesterday to the morning. Then lightly rained and misted on us all day long. The deck is sparkling clean at the end of the day. I was climbing mountains today with it that I usually just use the trimmer on. Not sure if it was easier, but was nice to test it on. Also got a new yard next door to another one I have. Husband had hip surgery and she has only been mowing the front yard. It is a fertilized very very thick beautiful yard. She claimed the back yard had only been let go 2 weeks, but looked more like 3 or more to me. 10 inch tall grass with a small gate to the back yard. About a 25 by 50' area soaking wet. 1st pass I was concerned. Looked horrible but no clumps. Second pass made it look pretty close to perfect. Only thing I doubled mowed today, but gained a customer for at least the rest of the season. Signed her up.

Maybe with the Timemaster we cut at different heights. I mow with it at either 3.25 or 3.75". We are over 10 inches above normal for rainfall this year and many days we still have dew on the ground at noon. Just tired of double mowing with it and still having clumps to clean up.

Only negatives for the bravo versus the timemaster I can come up with is the height adjustment and a few other things. Very stiff and have to adjust all four wheels instead of 2 points. Although in the 1st couple of weeks my wife snapped off the height adjustment playing with it in my own yard. Very cheap construction, don't see the bravo doing that and hopefully it loosens up some in the future. I prefer the personal pace in tight areas also over the bravo, but I think I need to get used to the bail maybe. Like the fold up handle for storage in my garage also. But all those things don't beat out the lack of power the Timemaster has and poor cut quality. Oh yea and the clumps and scraping the deck constantly!

Would of been a total nightmare using it today and wouldn't of made it into that back yard 3 feet even set at 4.25" before shutting off. Cost me a similar high mow job in the spring in a back yard with a small gate that I couldn't touch with it, that would of been a seasonal client. Trying to down size how many mowers I carry with me and think for my situation carrying two larger mowers and the bravo will be the answer for me.

Using the timemaster in only dry conditions is not an option for me and even in dry conditions i am not impressed with the cut. But the 30 inch stripes are nice to see in yards that used to be only be able to be cut with a 21. If you have any suggestions to help my timemaster out I would appreciate the info.
Was all this mulching mode? And if so were you using the gator blade? I own two timemasters. But I am intrigued by your thread. Thank you. I also own a turfmaster but it is very awkward to use.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
Was all this mulching mode? And if so were you using the gator blade? I own two timemasters. But I am intrigued by your thread. Thank you. I also own a turfmaster but it is very awkward to use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you ending the TurfMaster awkward due to control bail or the extra weight...? vs the TimeMaster?
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
As far as wet mulching...? I honestly have experienced better results with the TimeMaster when using the older style low lifts. Once the deck starts to spit smaller chuncks on the right side grab a burlap and cordless impact and scrap deck. This is faster than bagging IMO.

I really like the yBravo 25 but even with razor sharp blades it doesn't have as nice of a cut as the TimeMaster... IMO.

How sharp are your blades. The Toro/Exmark 30 are very sensitive to a crummy looking cut when blades are dull. Year or so back I was mowing with my TimeMaster and was puzzled why the cut was so iffy looking. For some reason I had completely forgot I had worse than butter knife dull blades I had put on for an aeration plug breakup mow.

There are other blades that work well on the yBravo25 but it requires some work since the latest generation spindles are 2 bolt. Old style was a single 5/8" center bolt with a forcing washer. *** Note*** if anyone reads this YOU MUST USE THE LONGEST POSSIBLE MATCHING GRADE BOLT for use with the heavier and thicker blade. The OREGON G6 gator blade is my all around favorite.

yBravo doesn't endorse non OEM blades but I do. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
As far as wet mulching...? I honestly have experienced better results with the TimeMaster when using the older style low lifts. Once the deck starts to spit smaller chuncks on the right side grab a burlap and cordless impact and scrap deck. This is faster than bagging IMO.

I really like the yBravo 25 but even with razor sharp blades it doesn't have as nice of a cut as the TimeMaster... IMO.

How sharp are your blades. The Toro/Exmark 30 are very sensitive to a crummy looking cut when blades are dull. Year or so back I was mowing with my TimeMaster and was puzzled why the cut was so iffy looking. For some reason I had completely forgot I had worse than butter knife dull blades I had put on for an aeration plug breakup mow.

There are other blades that work well on the yBravo25 but it requires some work since the latest generation spindles are 2 bolt. Old style was a single 5/8" center bolt with a forcing washer. *** Note*** if anyone reads this YOU MUST USE THE LONGEST POSSIBLE MATCHING GRADE BOLT for use with the heavier and thicker blade. The OREGON G6 gator blade is my all around favorite.

yBravo doesn't endorse non OEM blades but I do. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
I have used the high lifts most of the time. Whenever it is wet I side discharge with the timemaster. Helps a little IMO to side discharge. I sharpen the timemasters blades once a week. The actually hold an edge pretty well. Don't think that is my problem. But thank you for your response

#24 ·
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea in mulch mode. Bravo only mulches or bags. I have been only using the high lift blade so far. Probably will try the bravo gator blade next week.

#25 ·
Got a ballpark quote from ybravo direct for $1300 for a 25 shipped to cape cod. Man that's rough with no dealer support even remotely close by
Good amount of dealers in ohio, but closest to me is 45mins. Doubt I will every take it in for repair. Just fix it myself. Three dealers nearest to me are all at the 45-60 min range and all Scag dealers. All in different directions....lol. Dealer I bought it from only sells Scag and Ferris. Bravo is the only small mower he sells. Said he has been selling them for 3-4 yrs. My scag dealer I usually use sells scag, toro and honda. He has the full line of hondas and toros both residential/commercial in his showroom. Thinking maybe these other dealers with no deals with small mower companies are catching on quicker to the bravos? Seems like they are still a young company, maybe 5yrs or so is my guess? So for this being their only product probably is harder to market them to dealers with distribution already with other larger companies. But taking that all into account seems in some areas in the country they are catching on quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.