• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Yellow Grass

Brento

LawnSite Member
My lawn was 5 weeks old and I put down fertilizer in the beginning of August. It was very dark green and growing like crazy. The second week of August, I sprayed liquid weed killer on the lawn. It is now over two weeks later and most of the weeds are gone. However, my grass is now flourescent yellow. In addition, the grass is covered with a orange powder. Finally, it does not appear to be growing much.

How can I fix this? Can I give the lawn a jump start by throwing down some fertilizer? Should I put down a "Winterizer" or should I use something a little faster acting?

Thanks,
Brent

OP
B

Brento

LawnSite Member
Grass is 35% Kentucky Blue, 35% Perennial Rye, and 30% Crabgrass.

I used Spectracide Weedstop Concentrate. I used 1 oz. per gallon like the instructions said.

Air temp was 70 when applied. Air temps were below 80 for 1 week. Then were 84, 82, and then below 80 for the rest of the time.

I do not know what the soil temp is/was.

Brent

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
Why not aerate and re-seed. This is the best time to get great results. Try it again, but with no herbicides.

Skookum

LawnSite Senior Member
Orange powder, yellow grass, time of year - August. Sounds like RUST to me.

Rust disease needs certian specific conditions to accure or even become visable. It is a very complex fugus. Adequate levels of nitorgen are best defense against the disease. May not keep it from showing up but it will help minimize the effects.

A dose of nitrogen might help. Fungicides would be a last resort. Usually, effects diminish when the weather changes, thus changing some of the required conditions for it's growth in the first place.